Estimating the Cost of Leisure Time for Recreation Demand Models
AbstractThe cost of travel time has commonly been incorporated in recreation demand models as some fucntion of the wage rate. This paper proposes a new methodology of determining the value of leisure time. The proposed method is compared to other alternatives and shown to yield more appropriate welfare measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Environmental Economics and Management.
Volume (Year): 38 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622870
Other versions of this item:
- Feather, Peter & Shaw, W. Douglass, 1998. "Estimating The Cost Of Leisure Time For Recreation Demand Models," 1998 Annual meeting, August 2-5, Salt Lake City, UT 20855, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ham, John C, 1982. "Estimation of a Labour Supply Model with Censoring Due to Unemployment and Underemployment," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(3), pages 335-54, July.
- Moffitt, Robert, 1982. "The Tobit Model, Hours of Work and Institutional Constraints," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(3), pages 510-15, August.
- Bowker, James Michael & English, Donald B.K. & Donovan, Jason A., 1996. "Toward A Value For Guided Rafting On Southern Rivers," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 28(02), December.
- Peter Feather & Daniel Hellerstein, 1997.
"Calibrating Benefit Function Transfer to Assess the Conservation Reserve Program,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 79(1), pages 151-162.
- Hellerstein, Daniel & Feather, Peter, 1997. "Calibrating Benefit Function Transfer to Assess the Conservation Reserve Program," MPRA Paper 25357, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Bockstael, Nancy & Hanemann, W. Michael, 1987.
"Estimating the Value of Water Quality Improvements in a Recreational Demand Framework,"
Staff General Research Papers
1594, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Kling, Catherine L. & Bockstael, Nancy & Michael, W., 1999. "Estimating the Value of Water Quality Improvements in a Recreational Demand Framework," Staff General Research Papers 12334, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- DeSerpa, A C, 1971. "A Theory of the Economics of Time," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 81(324), pages 828-46, December.
- Shonkwiler, John Scott & Shaw, W. Douglass, 1996. "Hurdle Count-Data Models In Recreation Demand Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Zabel, Jeffrey E, 1993. "The Relationship between Hours of Work and Labor Force Participation in Four Models of Labor Supply Behavior," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 11(2), pages 387-416, April.
- Feather Peter & Hellerstein Daniel & Tomasi Theodore, 1995. "A Discrete-Count Model of Recreational Demand," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 214-227, September.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Leonard, Gregory K. & McFadden, Daniel, 1995. "A utility-consistent, combined discrete choice and count data model Assessing recreational use losses due to natural resource damage," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-30, January.
- Parsons George R. & Kealy Mary Jo, 1995. "A Demand Theory for Number of Trips in a Random Utility Model of Recreation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 357-367, November.
- Frank J. Cesario, 1976. "Value of Time in Recreation Benefit Studies," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 52(1), pages 32-41.
- Thomas MaCurdy & David Green & Harry Paarsch, 1990.
"Assessing Empirical Approaches for Analyzing Taxes and Labor Supply,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 25(3), pages 415-490.
- Macurdy, T. & Green, D. & Paarsch, H., 1990. "Assessing Empirical Approaches For Analyzing Taxes And Labor Supply," Working Papers e-90-11, Hoover Institution, Stanford University.
- Altonji, Joseph G & Paxson, Christina H, 1988.
"Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Trade-Offs,"
Journal of Labor Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 6(2), pages 254-76, April.
- Joseph G. Altonji & Christina H. Paxson, 1987. "Labor Supply Preferences, Hours Constraints, and Hours-Wage Tradeoffs," NBER Working Papers 2121, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martijn P. Tummers & Isolde Woittiez, 1991. "A Simultaneous Wage and Labor Supply Model with Hours Restrictions," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(3), pages 393-423.
- Cameron, Trudy Ann & Shaw, W. Douglass & Ragland, Shannon E. & Callaway, J. Mac & Keefe, Sally, 1996. "Using Actual And Contingent Behavior Data With Differing Levels Of Time Aggregation To Model Recreation Demand," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- V. Kerry Smith & William H. Desvousges & Matthew P. McGivney, 1983. "The Opportunity Cost of Travel Time in Recreation Demand Models," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 59(3), pages 259-278.
- Larson, Douglas M. & Shaikh, Sabina L. & Loomis, John B., 1997. "A Two-Constraint AIDS Model of Recreation Demand and the Value of Leisure Time," 1997 Annual Meeting, July 13-16, 1997, Reno\Sparks, Nevada 35745, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Shadow Prices, Market Wages, and Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 679-94, July.
- repec:fth:stanho:e-90-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:pri:indrel:594 is not listed on IDEAS
- Collings, J. J., 1974. "The valuation of leisure travel time : A note," Regional and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 65-67, June.
This item has more than 25 citations. To prevent cluttering this page, these citations are listed on a separate page. reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.