An Analysis of Congestion Measures and Heterogeneous Angler Preferences in a Random Utility Model of Recreational Fishing
AbstractThe potential importance ofcongestion effects on the management andrationing of recreational facilities andservices in the presence of heterogeneouspreferences were highlighted nearly twenty-fiveyears ago by Freeman and Haveman (1977). Whilethere have been a number of theoretical modelsextending and expanding upon this work(McConnell 1988; Anderson 1993), empiricalresearch evaluating such impacts is limited. Evidence of the potential impacts of congestionon resource usage is of obvious importance,especially for natural resource managers whounderstand that congestion can be an effectiverationing device and because users likelydiffer in both their preferences for use andaversion to congestion. It is the objective ofthis research to compare alternative measuresof congestion for explaining site choice withina random utility modeling framework. Thecongestion measures differ with respect to thetime horizon over which they are assumed to beformulated and the measure of central tendencyused to represent them. Furthermore, weinvestigate how the response to thesecongestion measures may differ across twodistinct angler types and the implications ofthose differences on the per trip willingnessto pay for stock enhancement. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists in its journal Environmental and Resource Economics.
Volume (Year): 27 (2004)
Issue (Month): 4 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100263
congestion; pricing policy; recreational resources;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter C. Boxall, 1995. "The Economic Value of Lottery-rationed Recreational Hunting," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 43(1), pages 119-131, 03.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 2002.
"Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 88-97, January.
- Murphy, Kevin M & Topel, Robert H, 1985. "Estimation and Inference in Two-Step Econometric Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 3(4), pages 370-79, October.
- Kaoru, Yoshiaki, 1995. "Measuring marine recreation benefits of water quality improvements by the nested random utility model," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 119-136, August.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, December.
- Train, Kenneth & McFadden, Daniel & Johnson, Reed, 2000. "Discussion of Morey and Waldman's "Measurement Error in Recreation Demand Models"," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 76-81, July.
- Kerry Smith, V., 1981. "Congestion, travel cost recreational demand models, and benefit evaluation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 92-96, March.
- Kojo M. Akabua & Wiktor L. Adamowicz & William E. Phillips & Peter Trelawny, 1999. "Implications of Realization Uncertainty on Random Utility Models: The Case of Lottery Rationed Hunting," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 47(2), pages 165-179, 07.
- Kenneth E. McConnell, 1977. "Congestion and Willingness to Pay: A Study of Beach Use," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 53(2), pages 185-195.
- Richard G. Walsh & Nicole P. Miller & Lynde O. Gilliam, 1983. "Congestion and Willingness to Pay for Expansion of Skiing Capacity," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 59(2), pages 195-210.
- Deyak, Timothy A. & Smith, V. Kerry, 1978. "Congestion and participation in outdoor recreation: A household production function approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 63-80, March.
- McConnell, K. E., 1988. "Heterogeneous preferences for congestion," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 251-258, September.
- McConnell, K. E. & Duff, Virginia A., 1976. "Estimating net benefits of recreation under conditions of excess demand," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 224-230, February.
- Morey, Edward R. & Waldman, Donald M., 1998. "Measurement Error in Recreation Demand Models: The Joint Estimation of Participation, Site Choice, and Site Characteristics," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 262-276, May.
- Lin, Pei-Chien & Adams, Richard M. & Berrens, Robert P., 1996. "Welfare Effects Of Fishery Policies: Native American Treaty Rights And Recreational Salmon Fishing," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(02), December.
- Bell, Frederick W. & Leeworthy, Vernon R., 1990. "Recreational demand by tourists for saltwater beach days," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 189-205, May.
- Becker, Gary S, 1991.
"A Note on Restaurant Pricing and Other Examples of Social Influences on Price,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(5), pages 1109-16, October.
- Gary S. Becker, 1991. "A Note on Restaurant Pricing and Other Examples of Social Influences on Price," University of Chicago - George G. Stigler Center for Study of Economy and State 67, Chicago - Center for Study of Economy and State.
- Morey, Edward R. & Waldman, Donald M., 2000. "Joint Estimation of Catch and Other Travel-Cost Parameters--Some Further Thoughts," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 82-85, July.
- Vasquez Lavin, Felipe & Hanemann, William Michael, 2008.
"Taste indicators and heterogeneous revealed preferences for congestion in recreation demand,"
CUDARE Working Paper Series
1075, University of California at Berkeley, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics and Policy.
- Vasquez Lavin, Felipe & Hanemann, W. Michael, 2008. "Taste Indicators and Heterogeneous Revealed Preferences for Congestion in Recreation Demand," Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley, Working Paper Series qt4rz5z706, Department of Agricultural & Resource Economics, UC Berkeley.
- Felipe Vásquez & Michael Hanemann, 2008. "Taste Indicators and Heterogeneous Revealed Preferences for Congestion in Recreation Demand," Working Papers 10-2008, Departamento de Economía, Universidad de Concepción.
- Chen, Min & Lupi, Frank, 2013. "Modeling Long Overnight Trips by Chaining Recreation Sites," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150489, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Rolfe, John & Prayaga, Prabha, 2006. "Estimating Values for Recreational Fishing at Freshwater Dams in Queensland," 2006 Conference (50th), February 8-10, 2006, Sydney, Australia 139896, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Rolfe, John & Prayaga, Prabha, 2007. "Estimating values for recreational fishing at freshwater dams in Queensland," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 51(2), June.
- Gao, Lei & Hailu, Atakelty, 2011. "Evaluating the effects of area closure for recreational fishing in a coral reef ecosystem: The benefits of an integrated economic and biophysical modeling," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(10), pages 1735-1745, August.
- Eugenio-Martin, Juan L., 2011. "Assessing social carrying capacity of tourism destinations with random utility models/Evaluación de la capacidad de carga social de los destinos turísticos con modelos de utilidad aleatoria," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 29, pages 881-902, Diciembre.
- Christopher Timmins & Jennifer Murdock, 2006. "A Revealed Preference Approach to the Measurement of Congestion in Travel Cost Models," Working Papers tecipa-213, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.