The Stock of Private Real Estate Capital in U.S. Metropolitan Areas
AbstractIn this paper, we describe the construction of estimates of private real estate capital for each of 242 MSAs, annually, for 1982 through 1994. We compute three such series: (1) total private real estate capital (residential and nonresidential); (2) private single-family residential capital; and (3) private income property capital (multifamily housing plus nonresidential real estate , or (1) less (2)). We then model the determinants of each series, and use the results to predict the value of the capital stock for a larger set of 295 MSAs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by American Real Estate Society in its journal Journal of Real Estate Research.
Volume (Year): 22 (2001)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L85 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Real Estate Services
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Henry O. Pollakowski & Susan M. Wachter & Lloyd Lynford, 1992. "Did Office Market Size Matter in the 1980s? A Time-Series Cross-Sectional Analysis of Metropolitan Area Office Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 20(2), pages 302-324.
- John B. Corgel & Gerald D. Gay, 1987. "Local Economic Base, Geographic Diversification, and Risk Management of Mortgage Portfolios," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 15(3), pages 256-267.
- Eppli, Mark J & Shilling, James D & Vandell, Kerry D, 1998. "What Moves Retail Property Returns at the Metropolitan Level?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(3), pages 317-42, May.
- Stephen Malpezzi & Larry Ozanne & Thomas G. Thibodeau, 1987. "Microeconomic Estimates of Housing Depreciation," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 63(4), pages 372-385.
- James D. Shilling & Stephen Malpezzi, 1996.
"Institutional Investors Tilt Their Real Estate Holdings Toward Quality, Too,"
Wisconsin-Madison CULER working papers
96-12, University of Wisconsin Center for Urban Land Economic Research.
- Malpezzi, Stephen & Shilling, James D, 2000. "Institutional Investors Tilt Their Real Estate Holdings toward Quality, Too," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 113-40, September.
- Charles R. Hulten & Frank Wykoff, 1980. "Economic Depreciation and the Taxation of Structures in United States Manufacturing Industries: An Empirical Analysis," NBER Chapters, in: The Measurement of Capital, pages 83-120 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.