Bargaining powers and market segmentation in freight transport
AbstractThe heterogeneity of services in the freight transport market and the presence of imperfect information motivate the development of an empirical model for detecting market imperfection and bargaining powers of the two agents concluding a contract. The fact that agents typically bargain simultaneously on price and attributes leads to models without exogeneity assumption. The model is accordingly based on estimation of the support of the joint distribution of the price and of the attributes of the transport rather than on expectation of the price conditional to the attributes. The model proposes an innovative and integrated approach for measuring market imperfection and bargaining powers. Furthermore, the paper examines the sensitivity of the results to the choice of attributes and, in order to detect potential market segmentation, to selection of the data. The empirical work is based on a new dataset obtained from a survey based on face-to-face interviews, providing data on the price and qualitative attributes of a set of actual contracts negotiated on the Belgian freight market. Copyright © 2007 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 22 (2007)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- MOUCHART, Michel & VANDRESSE, Marie, 2003. "A measure of market imperfection by frontier analysis," CORE Discussion Papers 2003092, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- Simar, L. & Wilson, P.W., 2000. "Testing Restrictions in Nonparametric Efficiency Models," Papers 0013, Catholique de Louvain - Institut de statistique.
- John Rust & Hui Man Chan & George Hall, 2004.
"Price Discrimination in the Steel Market,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
245, Econometric Society.
- John Rust & George Hall, 2001.
"Middle Men Versus Market Makers: A Theory of Competitive Exchange,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1299, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- John Rust & George Hall, 2003. "Middlemen versus Market Makers: A Theory of Competitive Exchange," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 111(2), pages 353-403, April.
- John Rust & George Hall, 2002. "Middlemen versus Market Makers: A Theory of Competitive Exchange," NBER Working Papers 8883, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kneip, Alois & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, L opold, 1998. "A Note On The Convergence Of Nonparametric Dea Estimators For Production Efficiency Scores," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(06), pages 783-793, December.
- SIMAR, Léopold & WILSON, Paul, 1995.
"Sensitivity Analysis to Efficiency Scores : How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1995043, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Léopold Simar & Paul W. Wilson, 1998. "Sensitivity Analysis of Efficiency Scores: How to Bootstrap in Nonparametric Frontier Models," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(1), pages 49-61, January.
- Fried, Harold O. & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Shelton S. (ed.), 1993. "The Measurement of Productive Efficiency: Techniques and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195072181.
- Christian Ben Lakhdar & Hervé Leleu & Nicolas Gérard Vaillant & François-Charles Wolff, 2011.
"Efficiency of purchasing and selling agents in markets with quality uncertainty: The case of illicit drug transactions,"
2011-ECO-02, IESEG School of Management.
- Ben Lakhdar, Christian & Leleu, Hervé & Vaillant, Nicolas Gérard & Wolff, François-Charles, 2013. "Efficiency of purchasing and selling agents in markets with quality uncertainty: The case of illicit drug transactions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 226(3), pages 646-657.
- WUNSCH, Guillaume & MOUCHART, Michel & RUSSO, Federica, 2012. "Functions and mechanisms in structural-modelling explanations," CORE Discussion Papers 2012056, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.