A Two-tiered Earnings Frontier Estimation of Employer and Employee Information in the Labor Market
AbstractThis pap er develops a "two-tiered frontier" estimation procedure to decompose the residual of an earnings function into three components. The first component can be interpreted as being purely random. Search theory is used to show that the other two components represent employee and employer ignorance of offer and reservation wages respectively. Relative employee and employer ignorance estimates are presented for various population strata. Copyright 1987 by MIT Press.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal Review of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 69 (1987)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Polachek, Solomon & Xiang, Jun, 2005. "The Effects of Incomplete Employee Wage Information: A Cross-Country Analysis," IZA Discussion Papers 1735, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Poggi, Ambra, 2010. "Job satisfaction, working conditions and aspirations," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 936-949, December.
- M. Meschi, 1998. "Assessing Wage Discrimination in Italy," CIBS Research Papers in International Business 11-98, London South Bank University CIBS.
- Pedro Harmath & Josefa Ramoni, 2012. "Stocasthic frontiers and wage inefficiency in Venezuela," Economía, Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales (IIES). Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Universidad de Los Andes. Mérida, Venezuela, vol. 37(33), pages 107-142, January-j.
- Vasiliki Fourmouzi & Margarita Genius & Peter Midmore & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2009. "Measurement of Consumption efficiency in Price-Quantity Space: A Distance Function Approach," Working Papers 0912, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2012. "Maximum likelihood estimation of stochastic frontier models by the Fourier transform," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 234-248.
- Sonila Tomini & Wim Groot & Milena Pavlova, 2012. "Paying informally in the Albanian health care sector: a two-tiered stochastic frontier model," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 13(6), pages 777-788, December.
- Constantin Ogloblin & Gregory Brock, 2006. "Wage Determination in Rural Russia: A Stochastic Frontier Model," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 315-326.
- Martin Gaynor & Solomon Polachek, 1994. "Measuring Ignorance in the Market: A New Method with an Application to Physician Services," NBER Working Papers 3430, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Polachek, Solomon, 2003.
"Mincer's Overtaking Point and the Lifecycle Earnings Distribution,"
IZA Discussion Papers
865, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Solomon Polachek, 2003. "Mincer's Overtaking Point and the Life Cycle Earnings Distribution," Review of Economics of the Household, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 273-304, December.
- Vera A. Adamchik & Josef C. Brada & Arthur E. King, 2009. "Are Transition Economy Workers Underpaid?," Working Papers 278, Institut für Ost- und Südosteuropaforschung (Institute for East and South-East European Studies).
- Barros, Carlos P. & Guironnet, Jean-Pascal & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2011.
"Productivity growth and biased technical change in French higher education,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 641-646.
- Barros, Carlos P. & Guironnet, Jean-Pascal & Peypoch, Nicolas, 2011. "Productivity growth and biased technical change in French higher education," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 641-646, January.
- Daniel Millimet, 2005. "Job search skills, employer size and wages," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(2), pages 95-100.
- Adams, John & Greig, Malcolm & McQuaid, Ronald W., 1999. "Mismatch and unemployment in local labour markets," ERSA conference papers ersa99pa027, European Regional Science Association.
- Subal Kumbhakar & Christopher Parmeter, 2010. "Estimation of hedonic price functions with incomplete information," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 39(1), pages 1-25, August.
- Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1995. "Econometric efficiency analysis: A policy-oriented review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(3), pages 452-461, February.
- John Robst & Kimmarie McGOLDRICK, 1999. "The Measurement of Firm Information About Product Demand," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 149-163, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.