Nonlinear dynamics of interest rate and inflation
AbstractAccording to several empirical studies US inflation and nominal interest rates as well as the real interest rate can be described as unit root processes. These results imply that nominal interest rates and expected inflation do not move one-for-one in the long run, which is incongruent with theoretical models. In this paper we introduce a new nonlinear bivariate mixture autoregressive model that seems to fit quarterly US data (1953 : II-2004 : IV) reasonably well. It is found that the three-month Treasury bill rate and inflation share a common nonlinear component that explains a large part of their persistence. The real interest rate is devoid of this component, indicating one-for-one movement of the nominal interest rate and inflation in the long run and, hence, stationarity of the real interest rate. Copyright © 2006 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of Applied Econometrics.
Volume (Year): 21 (2006)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/0883-7252/
Other versions of this item:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markku Lanne, 2001. "Near unit root and the relationship between inflation and interest rates: A reexamination of the Fisher effect," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(2), pages 357-366.
- Bierens, Herman J, 2000. "Nonparametric Nonlinear Cotrending Analysis, with an Application to Interest and Inflation in the United States," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(3), pages 323-37, July.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Davide Pettenuzzo & Allan Timmermann, 2006.
"Forecasting Time Series Subject to Multiple Structural Breaks,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 73(4), pages 1057-1084.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Pettenuzzo, Davide & Timmermann, Allan, 2004. "Forecasting Time Series Subject to Multiple Structural Breaks," IZA Discussion Papers 1196, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pesaran, M Hashem & Pettenuzzo, Davide & Timmermann, Allan G, 2004. "Forecasting Time Series Subject to Multiple Structural Breaks," CEPR Discussion Papers 4636, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Davide Pettenuzzo & Allan Timmermann, 2004. "Forecasting Time Series Subject to Multiple Structural Breaks," CESifo Working Paper Series 1237, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Pettenuzzo, D. & Timmermann, A., 2004. "‘Forecasting Time Series Subject to Multiple Structural Breaks’," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0433, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Andrews, Donald W. K., 1998.
"Hypothesis testing with a restricted parameter space,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 155-199, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1994. "Hypothesis Testing with a Restricted Parameter Space," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1060R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1994.
"An Analysis of the Real Interest rate Under Regime Shifts,"
Cahiers de recherche
9428, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Garcia, Rene & Perron, Pierre, 1996. "An Analysis of the Real Interest Rate under Regime Shifts," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(1), pages 111-25, February.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1990. "An Anlysis Of The Real Interest Rate Under Regime Shifts," Papers 353, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Garcia, R. & Perron, P., 1994. "An Analysis of the Real Interest rate Under Regime Shifts," Cahiers de recherche 9428, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- René Garcia & Pierre Perron, 1995. "An Analysis of the Real Interest Rate Under Regime Shifts," CIRANO Working Papers 95s-05, CIRANO.
- Perron, P, 1988.
"The Great Crash, The Oil Price Shock And The Unit Root Hypothesis,"
338, Princeton, Department of Economics - Econometric Research Program.
- Perron, Pierre, 1989. "The Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1361-1401, November.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Rossi, Peter E & Tauchen, George, 1993. "Nonlinear Dynamic Structures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 871-907, July.
- James D. Hamilton & Daniel F. Waggoner & Tao Zha, 2004.
"Normalization in econometrics,"
2004-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Martin D.D. Evans & Karen K. Lewis, 1993.
"Do Expected Shifts in Inflation Affect Estimates of the Long-Run Fisher Relation?,"
93-06, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Evans, Martin D D & Lewis, Karen K, 1995. " Do Expected Shifts in Inflation Affect Estimates of the Long-Run Fisher Relation?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 225-53, March.
- Robert B. Davies, 2002. "Hypothesis testing when a nuisance parameter is present only under the alternative: Linear model case," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 89(2), pages 484-489, June.
- Anderson, Heather M. & Vahid, Farshid, 1998. "Testing multiple equation systems for common nonlinear components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 1-36, May.
- Koop, Gary & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Potter, Simon M., 1996. "Impulse response analysis in nonlinear multivariate models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 119-147, September.
- Markku Lanne & Pentti Saikkonen, 2003.
"Modeling the U.S. Short-Term Interest Rate by Mixture Autoregressive Processes,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 96-125.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2000. "Modeling the US short-term interest rate by mixture autoregressive processes," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2000,76, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Markku Lanne & Pentti Saikkonen, 2001. "Modeling the U.S. Short-Term Interest Rate by Mixture Autoregressive Processes," CeNDEF Workshop Papers, January 2001 PO5, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1993.
"Is the Fisher Effect for Real? A Reexamination of the Relationship Between Inflation and Interest Rates,"
NBER Working Papers
3632, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mishkin, Frederic S., 1992. "Is the Fisher effect for real? : A reexamination of the relationship between inflation and interest rates," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 195-215, November.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1990. "A Unified Approach to Robust, Regression-Based Specification Tests," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 17-43, March.
- C. S. Wong & W. K. Li, 2000. "On a mixture autoregressive model," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 62(1), pages 95-115.
- Franses, Ph.H.B.F. & Paap, R., 1998. "Censored latent effects autoregression, with an application to US unemployment," Econometric Institute Report EI 9841, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Econometric Institute.
- Horvath, Michael T.K. & Watson, Mark W., 1995. "Testing for Cointegration When Some of the Cointegrating Vectors are Prespecified," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(05), pages 984-1014, October.
- Rose, Andrew Kenan, 1988. " Is the Real Interest Rate Stable?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(5), pages 1095-1112, December.
- Kisswani, Khalid/ M. & Nusair, Salah/ A., 2011. "Non-linear convergence in Asian interest rates and inflation rates," MPRA Paper 34179, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Stephen Hall & George Hondroyiannis & P. Swamy & George Tavlas, 2010. "The Fisher Effect Puzzle: A Case of Non-Linear Relationship?," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 91-103, February.
- Rautureau, Nicolas, 2004. "Measuring the long-term perception of monetary policy and the term structure," Research Discussion Papers 12/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Michal Brzoza-Brzezina, 2005. "Lending Booms in Europe’s Periphery: South-Western Lessons for Central-Eastern Members," Macroeconomics 0502002, EconWPA.
- Michal Brzoza-Brzezina, 2003.
"Estimating the Natural Rate of Interest: A SVAR Approach,"
- Michał Brzoza-Brzezina, 2002. "Estimating the Natural Rate of Interest: A SVAR Approach," National Bank of Poland Working Papers 27, National Bank of Poland, Economic Institute.
- Kanas, Angelos, 2008. "On real interest rate dynamics and regime switching," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(10), pages 2089-2098, October.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2002.
"Links between securities settlement systems: An oligopoly theoretic approach,"
Research Discussion Papers
27/2002, Bank of Finland.
- Karlo Kauko, 2004. "Links between securities settlement systems: An oligopoly theoretic approach," Industrial Organization 0405003, EconWPA.
- Pierre L. Siklos & Diana N. Weymark, 2008.
"Data Revisions, Gradualism, and US Inflation Pressure in Real Time,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
0816, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Pierre L. Siklos & Diana N. Weymark, 2011. "Data Revisions, Gradualism, and US Inflation Pressure in Real Time," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 1110, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Hannu Koskinen, 2004. "Modelling of Structural Changes in Demand for Money Cointegration Relations," Finnish Economic Papers, Finnish Economic Association, vol. 17(2), pages 63-72, Autumn.
- Brzoza-Brzezina, Michal, 2005. "Lending booms in the new EU Member States: will euro adoption matter?," Working Paper Series 0543, European Central Bank.
- Pierre L. Siklos & Diana N. Weymark, 2009. "Has Inflation Targeting Improved Monetary Policy? Evaluating Policy Effectiveness in Australia, Canada, and New Zealand," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0906, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Tierney, Heather L.R., 2011.
"Real-time data revisions and the PCE measure of inflation,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 1763-1773, July.
- Tierney, Heather L.R., 2010. "Real-Time Data Revisions and the PCE Measure of Inflation," MPRA Paper 20625, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tierney, Heather L.R., 2010. "Real-Time Data Revisions and the PCE Measure of Inflation," MPRA Paper 22387, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Apr 2010.
- Michal Brzoza-Brzezina, 2004. "The Information Content of the Natural Rate of Interest: The Case of Poland," Macroeconomics 0402007, EconWPA.
- Peik Granlund, 2004. "Bank exit legislation in US, EU and Japanese financial centres," Finance 0405015, EconWPA.
- Saikkonen, Pentti, 2005. "Stability results for nonlinear error correction models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 127(1), pages 69-81, July.
- Tom Pak-wing Fong & Chun-shan Wong, 2008. "Stress Testing Banks' Credit Risk Using Mixture Vector Autoregressive Models," Working Papers 0813, Hong Kong Monetary Authority.
- Sibbertsen, Philipp & Kruse, Robinson, 2007.
"Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies,"
Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover
dp-381, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Philipp Sibbertsen & Robinson Kruse, 2009. "Testing for a break in persistence under long-range dependencies," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(3), pages 263-285, 05.
- Katarzyna Maciejowska, 2010. "Estimation Methods Comparison of SVAR Models with a Mixture of Two Normal Distributions," Central European Journal of Economic Modelling and Econometrics, CEJEME, vol. 2(4), pages 279-314, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.