Is the Fisher Effect Nonlinear? Some Evidence for Spain, 1963-2002
AbstractIn this paper we examine the role of nonlinearities in the relationship between nominal interest rates and inflation, in order to shed some additional light on the mostly unfavorable evidence on the presence of a full Fisher effect. The analysis is applied to the case of Spain for the period 1963-2002, which allows us to re-examine and extend previous results on the subject. The empirical methodology makes use of recent developments on threshold cointegration, so that cointegration between a pair of variables should be expected once a certain threshold was reached.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Centro de Estudios Andaluces in its series Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces with number E2004/05.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Interest rate; Fisher effect; Threshold cointegration; nonlinearity.;
Other versions of this item:
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Diaz-Roldan & Vicente Esteve, 2005. "Is the Fisher effect non-linear? some evidence for Spain, 1963-2002," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 849-854.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- E44 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Financial Markets and the Macroeconomy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-03-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-MAC-2004-03-07 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2004-03-07 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2004-03-07 (Risk Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- O Bajo-Rubio & C Diaz-Roldan & V Esteve, 2010.
"Testing the Fisher effect in the presence of structural change: A case study of the UK, 1966-2007,"
Economic Issues Journal Articles,
Economic Issues, vol. 15(2), pages 1-16, September.
- Oscar Bajo-Rubio & Carmen Díaz-Roldán & Vicente Esteve, 2003. "Testing the Fisher Effect in the Presence of Structural Change: A Case Study of the UK,1961-2001," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2003_22, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Andrew Phiri & Peter Lusanga, 2011. "Can asymmetries account for the empirical failure of the Fisher effect in South Africa?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 1968-1979.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Teresa Rodríguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.