Desarrollo del mercado de derivados cambiarios en Chile
AbstractThis article develops an international comparison, characterization and econometric evaluation about the development of Chilean FX derivatives market using a unique database of exchange rate operations performed by residents against domestic and international counterparts. The level of activity of the Chilean spot exchange rate market as well as its transaction costs are similar to those in more advanced economies, and a level of exchange rate derivative market above other emerging economies, yet at a significant distance from developed economies. Also, the article reports a growing number of foreign counterparts and a maturity of derivatives contracts slightly above the world average. From the cross country level regressions, it is worth mentioning the positive role of flexible exchange rate regimes as well as the negative effect of international reserve accumulation on the development of the exchange rate market. It is shown that the Chilean FX activity converges to the levels suggested by the estimation, according to the fundamentals of the economy. Nonetheless, it states at a significant distance from countries like Australia, New Zealand, and Canada.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Ilades-Georgetown University, Universidad Alberto Hurtado/School of Economics and Bussines in its journal Revista de Analisis Economico.
Volume (Year): 22 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 (June)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cashin, Paul & Cespedes, Luis F. & Sahay, Ratna, 2004.
"Commodity currencies and the real exchange rate,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 239-268, October.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005.
"Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons From Australia and Chile,"
Journal of Economic Policy Reform,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 313-354.
- Ricardo J Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," RBA Research Discussion Papers rdp2004-03, Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2005. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," Research Department Publications 4363, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Jonathan Kearns & Ricardo J. Caballero & Kevin Cowan, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: lessons from Australia and Chile," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 185, Econometric Society.
- Ricardo Caballero & Kevin Cowan & Jonathan Kearns, 2004. "Fear of Sudden Stops: Lessons from Australia and Chile," NBER Working Papers 10519, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy-Yeyati, Eduardo & Sturzenegger, Federico, 2005. "Classifying exchange rate regimes: Deeds vs. words," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(6), pages 1603-1635, August.
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004.
"Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention under Public Information: The Chilean Case,"
JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA,
LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Matías Tapia & Andrea Tokman, 2004. "Effects of Foreign Exchange Intervention Under Public Information: the Chilean Case," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 255, Central Bank of Chile.
- Fernandez, Viviana, 2003. "What determines market development?: Lessons from Latin American derivatives markets with an emphasis on Chile," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 390-421, October.
- Philippe Jorion, 1996. "Risk and Turnover in the Foreign Exchange Market," NBER Chapters, in: The Microstructure of Foreign Exchange Markets, pages 19-40 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- José Carreño & Paulo Cox, 2014. "Carry Trade y Turbulencias Cambiarias con el Peso Chileno," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 733, Central Bank of Chile.
- Felipe Alarcón G. & Daniel Calvo C. & Pamela Jervis O., 2008. "Mercado de Cobertura Cambiaria y Tasa de Interés Local en Dólares," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 11(2), pages 79-88, August.
- Jorge Selaive & Beatriz Velásquez & José Miguel Villena, 2008. "Extended Measures of Capital Transactions," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 461, Central Bank of Chile.
- Paulina Rodríguez & José Miguel Villena, 2009. "El mercado cambiario chileno en el período 1998-2008," Economic Statistics Series 75, Central Bank of Chile.
- María Gabriela Acharán & Roberto Alvarez & José Miguel Villena., 2009.
"Crisis Financiera y Uso de Derivados Cambiarios en Empresas Exportadoras,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
552, Central Bank of Chile.
- María Gabriela Acharán V. & Roberto Álvarez E. & José Miguel Villena M., 2010. "Crisis Financiera y Uso de Derivados Cambiarios en Empresas Exportadoras," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 13(3), pages 105-114, December.
- Gabriel Aparici & Pablo Furche & Fernando Sepúlveda & Catherine Tornel, 2013. "Mercado de Derivados y su Infraestructura: Aspectos Relevantes de la Discusión Internacional y su Aplicación en Chile," Economic Policy Papers Central Bank of Chile 45, Central Bank of Chile.
- Luis A Opazo R, 2012. "Derivative market: the experience of Chile," IFC Bulletins chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Proceedings of the workshop "Data requirements for monitoring derivative transactions", organised by the People's Bank of China and the Irving Fisher , volume 35, pages 12-19 Bank for International Settlements.
- Carlos Echeverría O. & Claudio Pardo M. & Jorge Selaive C., 2009. "Examen de las compensaciones y precios de suscripción en el mercado de derivados cambiarios chileno," Economic Statistics Series 71, Central Bank of Chile.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcela Perticara).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.