Interest rate transmission in the UK: a comparative analysis across financial firms and products
AbstractThis paper differentiates itself from the existing literature by testing for heterogeneities in the interest rate transmission mechanism using a large sample of 662 monthly retail rate histories (1993-2004) on seven key deposit and loan products. Error correction models are estimated to analyse the long-run pass-through, the long-run mark-up and the short-run speed of adjustment. The prediction that the official and retail rates move together in the long run is supported by the data. The evidence suggests weak between-product heterogeneity but notable differences were found between financial firms in the way they adjust their rates, which could hinder the achievement of monetary policy objectives. Consumer responses to official rate changes could therefore be more phased and intricate than hitherto believed. Heterogeneity in adjustment is found to be linked to menu costs and key financial ratios under managerial control. Copyright © 2008 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal International Journal of Finance & Economics.
Volume (Year): 14 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Ball, Laurence & Mankiw, N. Gregory, 1994.
"A sticky-price manifesto,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 127-151, December.
- Graham Elliott & Thomas J. Rothenberg & James H. Stock, 1992.
"Efficient Tests for an Autoregressive Unit Root,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0130, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mark A. Wynne, 1995. "Sticky prices: what is the evidence?," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Q I, pages 1-12.
- Kwiatkowski, D. & Phillips, P.C.B. & Schmidt, P., 1990.
"Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of Unit Root : How Sure are we that Economic Time Series have a Unit Root?,"
8905, Michigan State - Econometrics and Economic Theory.
- Kwiatkowski, Denis & Phillips, Peter C. B. & Schmidt, Peter & Shin, Yongcheol, 1992. "Testing the null hypothesis of stationarity against the alternative of a unit root : How sure are we that economic time series have a unit root?," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1-3), pages 159-178.
- Denis Kwiatkowski & Peter C.B. Phillips & Peter Schmidt, 1991. "Testing the Null Hypothesis of Stationarity Against the Alternative of a Unit Root: How Sure Are We That Economic Time Series Have a Unit Root?," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 979, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morten O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2003.
"PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate,"
IEHAS Discussion Papers
0307, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morten Ravn & Hélène Rey, 2005. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 120(1), pages 1-43, January.
- Jean Imbs & Haroon Mumtaz & Morton O. Ravn & Helene Rey, 2002. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," NBER Working Papers 9372, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbs, Jean & Mumtaz, Haroon & Ravn, Morten O. & Rey, Hélène, 2003. "PPP Strikes Back: Aggregation and the Real Exchange Rate," CEPR Discussion Papers 3715, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Heffernan, Shelagh A, 1997. "Modelling British Interest Rate Adjustment: An Error Correction Approach," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 64(254), pages 211-31, May.
- Swamy, P A V B, 1970.
"Efficient Inference in a Random Coefficient Regression Model,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 311-23, March.
- Tom Doan, . "SWAMY: RATS procedure to compute a GLS matrix weighted estimator for a panel data set," Statistical Software Components RTS00206, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen & Daniel Levy & Robert Venable, 2005.
"Menu Costs, Posted Prices, and Multiproduct Retailers,"
- Dutta, Shantanu, et al, 1999. "Menu Costs, Posted Prices, and Multiproduct Retailers," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 31(4), pages 683-703, November.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Ron Smith & Takashi Yamagata & Lyudmyla Hvozdyk, 2009. "Pairwise Tests of Purchasing Power Parity," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(6), pages 495-521.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 2001.
"LAG Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(6), pages 1519-1554, November.
- Serena Ng & Pierre Perron, 1997. "Lag Length Selection and the Construction of Unit Root Tests with Good Size and Power," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 369, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 01 Sep 2000.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995.
"Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Alberto Humala, 2005. "Interest rate pass-through and financial crises: do switching regimes matter? the case of Argentina," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 77-94.
- F. De Graeve & O. De Jonghe & R. Vander Vennet, 2004.
"Competition, transmission and bank pricing policies: Evidence from Belgian loan and deposit markets,"
Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium
04/261, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- De Graeve, Ferre & De Jonghe, Olivier & Vennet, Rudi Vander, 2007. "Competition, transmission and bank pricing policies: Evidence from Belgian loan and deposit markets," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 259-278, January.
- Andrew C. Caplin & Daniel F. Spulber, 1987.
"Menu Costs and the Neutrality of Money,"
NBER Working Papers
2311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hannan, Timothy H & Berger, Allen N, 1991. "The Rigidity of Prices: Evidence from the Banking Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 938-45, September.
- Bredin, Don & Fitzpatrick, Trevor & O'Reilly, Gerard, 2001.
"Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through: The Irish Experience,"
Research Technical Papers
6/RT/01, Central Bank of Ireland.
- Don Bredin & Trevor Fitzpatrick & Gerard O Reilly, 2002. "Retail Interest Rate Pass-Through - The Irish Experience," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 33(2), pages 223-246.
- Boris Hofmann & Paul Mizen, 2004. "Interest Rate Pass-Through and Monetary Transmission: Evidence from Individual Financial Institutions' Retail Rates," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 71, pages 99-123, 02.
- Adams, Renee B. & Santos, Joao A.C., 2006. "Identifying the effect of managerial control on firm performance," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1-2), pages 55-85, April.
- Kleimeier,Stefanie & Sander,Harald, 2004. "Interest Rate Pass-through in an Enlarged Europe: The Role of Banking Market Structure for Monetary Policy Transmission in Transition Countries," Research Memorandum 045, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-25, June.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Mester, Loretta J. & Saunders, Anthony, 1995.
"When does the prime rate change?,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 743-764, August.
- Claudio E. V. Borio & Wilhelm Fritz, 1995. "The response of short-term bank lending rates to policy rates: a cross-country perspective," BIS Working Papers 27, Bank for International Settlements.
- David ARISTEI & Manuela Gallo, 2012. "Interest Rate Pass-Through in the Euro Area during the Financial Crisis: a Multivariate Regime-Switching Approach," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 107/2012, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- John Ashton & Andros Gregoriou & Jerome V. Healy, 2013. "The relative influence of price and choice factors on retail deposit quantities," Working Papers 13006, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Leo Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2011.
"Bank-Specific Daily Interest Rate Adjustment in the Dutch Mortgage Market,"
Journal of Financial Services Research,
Springer, vol. 39(3), pages 145-159, June.
- Leo de Haan & Elmer Sterken, 2005. "Asymmetric Price Adjustment in the Dutch Mortgage Market," DNB Working Papers 061, Netherlands Central Bank, Research Department.
- John Ashton & Andros Gregoriou, 2012. "The Influence of Banking Centralisation on Depositors: Regional Heterogeneities in the Transmission of Monetary Policy," Working Papers 12005, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- Ana-Maria Fuertes & Shelagh Heffernan & Elena Kalotychou, 2010. "How do UK Banks React to Changing Central Bank Rates?," Journal of Financial Services Research, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 99-130, June.
- Iva Cecchin, 2011. "Mortgage Rate Pass-Through in Switzerland," Working Papers 2011-08, Swiss National Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.