Trade, Quality Reputations and Commercial Policy
AbstractThis paper extends recent developments on the role of firm reputations in markets where product quality is unobservable at the time of purchase to an international trading context. Its primary motivation is to demonstrate the implications of this approach to the problem of quality uncertainty for commercial policy, particularly the role of potential nontariff barriers, such as origin labeling requirements and minimum quality standards. Copyright 1989 by Economics Department of the University of Pennsylvania and the Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association in its journal International Economic Review.
Volume (Year): 30 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 160 McNeil Building, 3718 Locust Walk, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6297
Phone: (215) 898-8487
Fax: (215) 573-2057
Web page: http://www.econ.upenn.edu/ier
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bureau, J.-C. & Gozlan, E. & Marette, S., 1999.
"Quality Signaling and International Trade in Food Products,"
99-13, Paris X - Nanterre, U.F.R. de Sc. Ec. Gest. Maths Infor..
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Estelle Gozlan & StÃ©phan Marette, 2001. "Quality Signaling and International Trade in Food Products," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 01-wp283, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- J.-C. Bureau & E. Gozlan & S. Marette, 1999. "Quality signaling and international trade in food products," THEMA Working Papers 99-13, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Jean-Christophe Bureau & Estelle Gozlan & StÃ©phan Marette, 2001. "Quality Signaling and International Trade in Food Products," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp283, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Dimitra Petropoulou, 2007.
"Vertical Product Differentiation, Minimum Quality Standards and International Trade,"
Economics Series Working Papers
352, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Dimitra Petropoulou, 2013. "Vertical product differentiation, minimum quality standards, and international trade," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 372-393, April.
- Jansen, Marion & Lince de Faria, André, 2002. "Product Labelling, Quality and International Trade," CEPR Discussion Papers 3552, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Katrak, Homi, 2002. "Does economic liberalisation endanger indigenous technological developments?: An analysis of the Indian experience," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 19-30, January.
- Wolfgang Kerber & Roger Van den Bergh, 2008. "Mutual Recognition Revisited: Misunderstandings, Inconsistencies, and a Suggested Reinterpretation," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 447-465, 08.
- Wills, Ian R. & Harris, Jane, 1994. "Government Versus Private Quality Assurance For Australian Food Exports," Australian Journal of Agricultural Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 38(01), April.
- Dinopoulos, Elias & Livanis, Grigorios T. & West, Carol Taylor, 2005. "How Cool is C.O.O.L.?," Working Papers 15658, University of Florida, International Agricultural Trade and Policy Center.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Schilizzi, Steven, 2003. "Quality Signaling through Certification. Theory and an Application to Agricultural Seed Market," IDEI Working Papers 165, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001.
"Quantification of Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Technical Barriers to Trade for Trade Policy Analysis,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
01-wp291, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- John C. Beghin & Jean-Christophe Bureau, 2001. "Quantification of Sanitary, Phytosanitary, and Technical Barriers to Trade for Trade Policy Analysis," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp291, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- MacLaren, Donald, 2003. "Consumers’ Preferences, Credence Goods And The Wto Sps Agreement," 2003 Conference (47th), February 12-14, 2003, Fremantle, Australia 57915, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Menapace, Luisa & Moschini, GianCarlo, 2010.
"Quality Certification by Geographical Indications, Trademarks and Firm Reputation,"
2010 Annual Meeting, July 25-27, 2010, Denver, Colorado
61778, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Luisa Menapace & GianCarlo Moschini, 2012. "Quality certification by geographical indications, trademarks and firm reputation," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 39(4), pages 539-566, September.
- Menapace, Luisa & Moschini, GianCarlo, 2009. "Quality Certification by Geographical Indications, Trademarks and Firm Reputation," Staff General Research Papers 13126, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Eric Rasmusen, 2007. "A Reputation Model of Quality in North-South Trade," Working Papers 2007-06, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Arfini, Filippo & Cernicchiaro, Sabrina & Mancini, Maria Cecilia, 2007. "Private Innovation and Public Innovation: Who Leads and Who Follows?," 2007 1st Forum, February 15-17, 2007, Innsbruck, Austria 6587, International European Forum on Innovation and System Dynamics in Food Networks.
- Goksel, Turkmen, 2011.
"Reputation and Learning: Japanese Car Exports to the United States,"
40805, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dalton, John T. & Goksel, Turkmen, 2013. "Reputation and learning: Japanese car exports to the United States," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 25, pages 10-23.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.