The Evolutionary Model of Entrepreneurial Firms' Dependence on Networks: Going beyond the start-up stage
AbstractIn this paper, we propose a dynamic model of entrepreneurial firms’ dependence on networks. First we argue that five characteristics of entrepreneurial firms result in their high dependence on networks; these five characteristics include entrepreneurial orientation, central role of the entrepreneur, resource constraints, pursuit of flexibility, and niche market focus. We then examine how entrepreneurial firms’ growth is accompanied by the evolution of these five characteristics leading to a shift in the mode through which entrepreneurial firms construct and deploy their networks. In particular, we examine the composition and the stability of entrepreneurial firms’ networks. This paper contributes to building a more integrative theory of entrepreneurship.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra in its journal Notas Económicas.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 24 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://notas-economicas.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- M14 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Corporate Culture; Diversity; Social Responsibility
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Birley, Sue, 1985. "The role of networks in the entrepreneurial process," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 107-117.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Rivoli, Pietra, 1991. "Evaluating the costs of raising capital through an initial public offering," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 351-361, September.
- Deeds, David L. & Hill, Charles W. L., 1996. "Strategic alliances and the rate of new product development: An empirical study of entrepreneurial biotechnology firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 41-55, January.
- Jack, Sarah L. & Anderson, Alistair R., 2002. "The effects of embeddedness on the entrepreneurial process," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 467-487, September.
- Venkataraman, S. & Van De Ven, Andrew H. & Buckeye, Jeanne & Hudson, Roger, 1990. "Starting up in a turbulent environment: A process model of failure among firms with high customer dependence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 277-295, September.
- Jarillo, J. Carlos, 1989. "Entrepreneurship and growth: the strategic use of external resources," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 133-147, March.
- Lorenzoni, Gianni & Ornati, Oscar A., 1988. "Constellations of firms and new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 41-57.
- Ramachandran, K. & Ramnarayan, S., 1993. "Entrepreneurial orientation and networking: Some Indian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 513-524, November.
- Lipparini, Andrea & Sobrero, Maurizio, 1994. "The glue and the pieces: Entrepreneurship and innovation in small-firm networks," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 125-140, March.
- Ostgaard, Tone A. & Birley, Sue, 1994. "Personal networks and firm competitive strategy--A strategic or coincidental match?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 281-305, July.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & JoÃ£o Carvalho Santos & Nuno Rosa Reis & Fernando A. Ribeiro Serra, 2010. "Entrepreneurship research: A bibliometric study of the EnANPADs 1997-2008," Working Papers 69, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
- Manuel Portugal Ferreira & Dan Li & Fernando A. Ribeiro Serra, 2008. "Firm Characteristics and Country Institutional Development: Business Relationships with Foreign Firms in Transition Economies," Working Papers 20, globADVANTAGE, Polytechnic Institute of Leiria.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.