Experiments in financial liberalization: the Mexican banking sector
AbstractSince the liberalization of its trade in the mid-1980s, Mexico has pursued an aggressive globalization strategy, which today makes it the country with the most free trade agreements in the world. This liberalization strategy has also included the banking sector, particularly since 1997, when all restrictions to the entry of foreign banks were removed. The history of the banking sector in Mexico includes episodes of nationalization in 1982, privatization in 1992, and near-complete failure in 1995. Since then, however, the Mexican government has undertaken a series of bold reforms that have contributed to the modernization of its financial system. This paper documents the evolution of Mexico's banking sector starting from its nationalization in 1982 and culminating with the increased entry of foreign banks in recent years that has driven the recovery of bank credit to the private sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): Sep ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Gradstein, 2007. "Inequality, democracy and the protection of property rights," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(516), pages 252-269, 01.
- Gruben, William C. & McComb, Robert P., 2003. "Privatization, competition, and supercompetition in the Mexican commercial banking system," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 229-249, February.
- Robert V. Bubel & Edward C. Skelton, 2002. "Financial globalization: manna or menace? The case of Mexican banking," Southwest Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Jan, pages 17-19.
- Asli Demirguc-Kunt & Enrica Detragiache, 2000.
"Does Deposit Insurance Increase Banking System Stability? An Empirical Investigation,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1751, Econometric Society.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 2002. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability? An empirical investigation," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(7), pages 1373-1406, October.
- Demirguc-Kunt, Asli & Detragiache, Enrica, 1999. "Does deposit insurance increase banking system stability ? An empirical investigation," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2247, The World Bank.
- Robert V. Bubel & Edward C. Skelton, 2005. "Mexico emerges from 10-year credit slump," Southwest Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue May, pages 14-18.
- Daron Acemoglu & James A. Robinson, 2000.
"Why Did The West Extend The Franchise? Democracy, Inequality, And Growth In Historical Perspective,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 115(4), pages 1167-1199, November.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Robinson, James A, 1998. "Why did the West Extend the Franchise? Democracy, Inequality and Growth in Historical Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 1797, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gelos, R. Gaston & Werner, Alejandro M., 2002.
"Financial liberalization, credit constraints, and collateral: investment in the Mexican manufacturing sector,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 1-27, February.
- Gaston Gelos & Alejandro M. Werner, 1999. "Financial Liberalization, Credit Constraints, and Collateral - Investment in the Mexican Manufacturing Sector," IMF Working Papers 99/25, International Monetary Fund.
- Guillermo A. Calvo & Enrique G. Mendoza, 1996.
"Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of death foretold,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
545, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Calvo, Guillermo A. & Mendoza, Enrique G., 1996. "Mexico's balance-of-payments crisis: a chronicle of a death foretold," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3-4), pages 235-264, November.
- Haluk Unal & Miguel Navarro, 1999. "The Technical Process of Bank Privatization in Mexico," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-42, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Guillermo Zamarripa, 2003.
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 118(1), pages 231-268, February.
- Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Guillermo Zamarripa, 2002. "Related Lending," NBER Working Papers 8848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rafael Porta & Florencio de & Guillermo Zamarripa, 2002. "Related Lending," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm268, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Apr 2006.
- Cull, Robert & Senbet, Lemma W. & Sorge, Marco, 2001.
"Deposit insurance and financial development,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2682, The World Bank.
- Furlong, Frederick T. & Keeley, Michael C., 1989. "Capital regulation and bank risk-taking: A note," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(6), pages 883-891, December.
- Edward C. Skelton, 2006. "Laying the foundation for a mortgage industry in Mexico," Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, vol. 1(oct.).
- Antoine Martin, 2006.
"Liquidity provision vs. deposit insurance: preventing bank panics without moral hazard,"
Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 197-211, 05.
- Antoine Martin, 2001. "Liquidity provision vs. deposit insurance : preventing bank panics without moral hazard?," Research Working Paper RWP 01-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Elizabeth McQuerry & Marco Espinosa, 1998. "Reviewing Mexico's new bank accounting standards," Economics Update, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Jan, pages 3,6.
- Elizabeth McQuerry, 1999. "The banking sector rescue in Mexico," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q3, pages 14-29.
- Keeley, Michael C, 1990. "Deposit Insurance, Risk, and Market Power in Banking," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1183-1200, December.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & Liliana Solís, 2009.
"The determinants of net interest income in the Mexican banking system: an integrated model,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
2009-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Maudos, Joaquín & Solís, Liliana, 2009. "The determinants of net interest income in the Mexican banking system: An integrated model," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1920-1931, October.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Solisa, Liliana, 2009. "The determinants of net interest income in the Mexican banking system: an integrated model," MPRA Paper 15257, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2009.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.