Productivity and the post-1990 U.S. economy
AbstractIn this paper, the authors show that ignoring corporate intangible investments gives a distorted picture of the post-1990 U.S. economy. In particular, ignoring intangible investments in the late 1990s leads one to conclude that productivity growth was modest, corporate profits were low, and corporate investment was at moderate levels. In fact, the late 1990s was a boom period for productivity growth, corporate profits, and corporate investment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (2005)
Issue (Month): Jul ()
Other versions of this item:
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2005. "Productivity and the post-1990 U.S. economy," Staff Report 350, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ellen McGrattan & Edward Prescott, 2005. "Productivity and the Post-1990 U.S. Economy," 2005 Meeting Papers 274, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2004. "Productivity and the Post-1990 U.S. Economy," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000710, UCLA Department of Economics.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Mun S. Ho & Kevin J. Stiroh, 2003. "Lessons for Canada from the U.S. Growth Resurgence," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 6, pages 3-18, Spring.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2005.
"Taxes, Regulations, and the Value of U.S. and U.K. Corporations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 72(3), pages 767-796.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2005. "Taxes, regulations, and the value of U.S. and U.K. corporations," Staff Report 309, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Ellen R. McGrattan & Edward C. Prescott, 2004. "Taxes, Regulations, and the Value of U.S. and U.K. Corporations," Levine's Bibliography 122247000000000715, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Pereira, Ricardo Antônio de Castro & Ferreira, Pedro Cavalcanti Gomes, 2007.
"Efeitos de Crescimento e Bem-estar da Lei de Parceria Público-Privada no Brasil,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
648, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Pedro Cavalcanti Ferreira & Ricardo A. de castro Pereira, 2008. "Efeitos de Crescimento e Bem-estar da Lei de Parceria Público-Privada no Brasil," Revista Brasileira de Economia, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil), vol. 62(2), pages 207-219, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.