A case study of a currency crisis: the Russian default of 1998
AbstractThis paper uses a currency crisis framework to analyze the currency devaluation and debt default of post-Soviet Russia in August 1998. The authors show that even though the Russian economy recorded positive growth immediately preceding the default, the atmosphere was reflective of an impending crisis. The authors then consider the symptoms of a currency crisis—specifically public and private debt responsibilities, devaluation expectations, and contractionary monetary policy—and show that they were present in Russia at that time. Three generations of currency crisis models are reviewed, followed by speculation that the Russian default was a product not only of fiscal deficits but also of a fragile financial system and contractionary monetary policy. The authors address the possibility that the usual prescription for a currency crisis, that is, increasing interest rates, may have accelerated the default and that a case-by-case prescription may afford a better solution than a blanket policy of increasing interest rates in the face of devaluation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its journal Review.
Volume (Year): (2002)
Issue (Month): Nov ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Philippe Aghion & Philippe Bacchetta & Abhijit Banerjee, 1999.
"A Simple Model of Monetary Pollicy and Currency Crises,"
99.05, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Aghion, Philippe & Bacchetta, Philippe & Banerjee, Abhijit, 2000. "A simple model of monetary policy and currency crises," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 728-738, May.
- Philippe AGHION & Philippe BACCHETTA & Abhijit BANERJEE, 1999. "A Simple Model of Monetary Policy and Currency Crises," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9914, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Krugman, Paul, 1979. "A Model of Balance-of-Payments Crises," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 311-25, August.
- V. Popov, 2000.
"Lessons of the Currency Crisis in Russia and in Other Countries,"
Problems of Economic Transition,
M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 43(1), pages 45-73, May.
- V. Popov, 1999. "Lessons of the Currency Crisis in Russia and in Other Countries," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 6.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1986.
"Rational and Self-Fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises,"
NBER Working Papers
1486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1986. "Rational and Self-fulfilling Balance-of-Payments Crises," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 72-81, March.
- Dohmen, Thomas & Lehmann, Hartmut & Schaffer, Mark, 2008.
"Wage Policies of a Russian Firm and the Financial Crisis of 1998: Evidence from Personnel Data – 1997 to 2002,"
IZA Discussion Papers
3350, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Thomas Dohmen & Hartmut Lehmann & Mark E. Schaffer, 2008. "Wage policies of a Russian firm and the financial crisis of 1998: Evidence from personnel data - 1997 to 2002," CERT Discussion Papers 0801, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Thomas Dohmen & Hartmut Lehmann & Mark E. Schaffer, 2008. "Wage Policies of a Russian Firm and the Financial Crisis of 1998: Evidence from Personnel Data - 1997 to 2002," ESCIRRU Working Papers 4, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- T. Dohmen & H. Lehmann & M. E. Schaffer, 2008. "Wage policies of a Russian firm and the financial crisis of 1998: Evidence from personnel data â 1997 to 2002," Working Papers 628, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Thomas Dohmen & Hartmut Lehmann & Mark E. Schaffer, 2008. "Wage Policies of a Russian Firm and the Financial Crisis of 1998: Evidence from Personnel Data - 1997 to 2002," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 771, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Dohmen, Thomas J & Lehmann, Hartmut & Schaffer, Mark E, 2008. "Wage Policies of a Russian Firm and the Financial Crisis of 1998: Evidence from Personnel Data - 1997 to 2002," CEPR Discussion Papers 6845, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier Díaz-Cassou & Aitor Erce-Domínguez & Juan J. Vázquez-Zamora, 2008. "The role of the IMF in recent sovereign debt restructurings: Implications for the policy of lending into arrears," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0805, Banco de Espa�a.
- Jeffrey Rogers Hummel, 2012. "Some Possible Consequences of a U.S. Government Default," Econ Journal Watch, Econ Journal Watch, vol. 9(1), pages 24-40, January.
- Panetta, Fabio & Correa, Ricardo & Davies, Michael & Di Cesare, Antonio & Marques, José-Manuel & Nadal de Simone, Francisco & Signoretti, Federico & Vespro, Cristina & Vildo, Siret & Wieland, Martin , 2011.
"The impact of sovereign credit risk on bank funding conditions,"
32581, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2011. "The impact of sovereign credit risk on bank funding conditions," CGFS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 43.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Tomas Slacik, 2010.
"An almost-too-late warning mechanism for currency crises,"
The Economics of Transition,
The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 18(1), pages 123-141, 01.
- Jesus Crespo Cuaresma & Tomas Slacik, 2007. "An "Almost-Too-Late" Warning Mechanism For Currency Crises," Working Papers 2007-10, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck.
- Crespo Cuaresma, Jesýs & Slacik, Tomas, 2007. "An "almost-too-late" warning mechanism for currency crises," BOFIT Discussion Papers 4/2007, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Slacík, Tomáš & Cuaresma, Jesús Crespo, 2007. "Predicting Currency Crises Using the Term Structure of Relative Interest Rates: Case Studies of the Czech Republic and Russia," Focus on European Economic Integration, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank), issue 1.
- Dobler, Constanze & Hagemann, Harald, 2011. "Economic growth in the post-socialist Russian Federation after 1991: The role of Institutions," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 34/2011, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- David M. Kemme & Saktinil Roy, 2005.
"Real Exchange Rate Misalignment: Prelude to Crisis?,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp797, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Kemme, David M. & Roy, Saktinil, 2006. "Real exchange rate misalignment: Prelude to crisis?," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 207-230, October.
- Javier Díaz-Cassou & Aitor Erce-Domínguez & Juan J. Vázquez-Zamora, 2008. "Recent episodes of sovereign debt restructurings. A case-study approach," Banco de Espaï¿½a Occasional Papers 0804, Banco de Espa�a.
- Vitor Gaspar & Anil K. Kashyap, 2006. "Stability First: Reflections Inspired by Otmar Issing's Success as the ECB's Chief Economist," NBER Working Papers 12277, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.