The role of demand management policies in reducing unemployment
AbstractThis paper considers the scope for demand management policies to reduce the present high levels of European unemployment. While the evidence suggests that contractionary demand shocks are partly to blame, the presence of endogenous persistence mechanisms limit the scope for effective activist policies. Furthermore, in isolation they can do nothing to tackle the significant fraction due to adverse supply, or structural, developments. However, if appropriate supply-side policies are introduced, supportive demand management policies can speed the reduction in unemployment. The paper considers what such supportive demand management policies should look like and argues that in some cases a mild, although temporary, increase in inflation may be appropriate. The implications of uncertainty about the equilibrium rate of unemployment are also considered. The paper argues that such supportive policies are probably best sustained through monetary rather than fiscal policies and are likely to require changes in intra-European real exchange rates. Consequently a rapid move to full monetary union may be ill advised. Finally a potential role for temporary incomes policies is also identified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in its journal Proceedings.
Volume (Year): (1994)
Issue (Month): Jan ()
Other versions of this item:
- C Bean, 1994. "The Role in Demand Management Policies in Reducing Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0222, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Diamond, Peter A, 1994.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 61(3), pages 417-34, July.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages," Working papers 546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Peter Diamond, 1990. "Ranking, Unemployment Duration, and Wages," NBER Working Papers 3387, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Bean, Charles R, 1983. "Targeting Nominal Income: An Appraisal," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(372), pages 806-19, December.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Rockett, Katharine E, 1988. "International Macroeconomic Policy Coordination When Policymakers Do Not Agree on the True Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 318-40, June.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo, 2000.
"Le Politiche per l'Occupazione in Europa: una Tassonomia Istituzionale,"
CELPE Discussion Papers
52, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
- Floro Ernesto Caroleo, 2000. "Le politiche per l'occupazione in Europa: una tassonomia istituzionale," STUDI ECONOMICI, FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2000(71).
- Dolado, Juan J. & Jimeno, Juan F., 1997.
"The causes of Spanish unemployment: A structural VAR approach,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 1281-1307, July.
- Juan J. Dolado & Juan F. Jimeno, . "The causes of Spanish unemployment: A structural VAR apporach," Working Papers 96-19, FEDEA.
- Dolado, Juan José & Jimeno, Juan F., . "The Causes of Spanish Unemployment: A Structural VAR Approach," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/3274, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- Andrew Martin, 2000. "Social Pacts, Unemployment, and EMU Macroeconomic Policy," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 32, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Belke, A. & Gros, D., 1997.
"Estimating the Costs and Benefits of EMU: The Impact of External Shocks on Labour Markets,"
1997-95, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Ansgar Belke & Daniel Gros, 1999. "Estimating the costs and benefits of EMU: The impact of external shocks on labour markets," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 1-47, March.
- López Díaz, J., 1999. "Divergencia real en la unión monetaria: Un ejercicio de simulación," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 13, pages 87-100, Diciembre.
- Luis Alberiko Gil-Alana & Pedro Garcia-del-Barrio, . "New Revelations about Unemployment Persistence in Spain," Faculty Working Papers 10/06, School of Economics and Business Administration, University of Navarra.
- Werner Sesselmeier & Wilfried Fuhrmann & Christian Scholz & Uwe Walz & Rainer Schweickert & Axel Börsch-Supan & Margareta Kulessa, 1999. "Book reviews," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(1), pages 171-188, March.
- Calmfors, Lars, 1998. "Unemployment, Labour-Market Reform and Monetary Union," Seminar Papers 639, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- JÃ¼rgen Von Hagen, 1999. "Macroeconomic Consequences of the EMU," Empirica, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 359-374, December.
- Berthold, Norbert & Fricke, Holger, 2007. "Volkswirtschaftliche Auswirkungen der finanziellen Ausgleichsysteme in Deutschland," Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche BeitrÃ¤ge 93, Julius-Maximilians-Universität Würzburg, Lehrstuhl für Volkswirtschaftslehre, insbes. Wirtschaftsordnung und Sozialpolitik.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.