Implementing the single banking market in Europe
AbstractFinancial integration of the European Community requires actions by both the EC and its member states to create a common EC-wide competitive and regulatory environment. This paper focuses on the EC's creation of the single market for retail banking services. It tracks the EC legislative process and the adoption of EC directives designed to create the single market. The study also examines some of the costs and benefits associated with the single banking market. This paper evaluates the EC's success in creating the single market by examining the rate of implementation by the member states of the EC single banking market directives. It concludes with an assessment of the European Community's progress toward its goal of a single banking market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1995)
Issue (Month): ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerry L. Jordan, 1990. "Restructuring Financial Institutions in a Global Economy," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 315-328, Fall.
- Robert T. Clair & Gerald P. O'Driscoll, Jr., 1991. "Learning from one another: the U.S. and European banking experience," Research Paper 9108, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Pedro Schwartz, 1990. "The Single European Financial Market," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 357-361.
- Vives, Xavier, 1990. "Banking Competition and European Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 373, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Beverly Hirtle, 1991. "Factors affecting the competitiveness of internationally active financial institutions," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Spr, pages 38-51.
- Christine Pavel & John N. McElravey, 1990. "Globalization in the financial services industry," Economic Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue May, pages 3-18.
- Peter J. Ferrara, 1990. "International Trends in the Combination of Banking," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 329-346, Fall.
- K. Alec Chrystal & Cletus C. Coughlin, 1992. "How the 1992 legislation will affect European financial services," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 62-77.
- Mervyn K. Lewis, 1990. "Banking, Securities, and Commerce: A European Perspective," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 10(2), pages 347-356, Fall.
- James V. Houpt, 1988. "International trends for U.S. banks and banking markets," Staff Studies 156, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Inman, Robert P. & Rubinfeld, Daniel L., 1994. "The EMU and fiscal policy in the new European Community: An issue for economic federalism," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 147-161, June.
- Gual, Jordi & Neven, Damien J, 1992. "Deregulation of the European Banking Industry (1980-1991)," CEPR Discussion Papers 703, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sydney J. Key, 1989. "Financial integration in the European Community," International Finance Discussion Papers 349, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jonathan A. Neuberger & Gary C. Zimmerman, 1990. "Bank pricing of retail deposit accounts and "the California rate mystery"," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Spr, pages 3-16.
- Caminal, Ramón & Gual, Jordi & Vives, Xavier, 1989. "Competition in Spanish Banking," CEPR Discussion Papers 314, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2002. "Consumer credit rates in the eurozone. Evidence on the emergence of a single retail banking market," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15178, Maastricht University.
- Robert Feinberg & Richard Harper, 1999. "Regime Effects of EU Market Integration Policies on the UK Financial Sector," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 357-365, December.
- Schüler, Martin & Heinemann, Friedrich, 2002.
"How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis,"
3b, Deutsche Bank Research.
- Heinemann, Friedrich & Schüler, Martin, 2002. "How integrated are the European retail financial markets? A cointegration analysis," ZEW Discussion Papers 02-22, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Joyce Hsieh & Chien-Chung Nieh, 2010. "An overview of Asian equity markets," Asian-Pacific Economic Literature, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, The Australian National University, vol. 24(2), pages 19-51, November.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2000.
"Regionalisation versus globalisation in European financial market integration: Evidence from co-integration analyses,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-15182, Maastricht University.
- Kleimeier, Stefanie & Sander, Harald, 2000. "Regionalisation versus globalisation in European financial market integration: Evidence from co-integration analyses," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1005-1043, June.
- Kleimeier,Stefanie & Sander,Harald, 2002. "European Financial Market Integration: Evidence on the Emergence of a Single Eurozone Retail Banking Market," Research Memoranda 060, Maastricht : METEOR, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization.
- Daniel Reichstul & Gilberto Tadeu Lima, 2005. "Crédito Bancário E Atividade Econômica: Evidências Empíricas Para A Produção Industrial No Estado De São Paulo," Anais do XXXIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 33th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 119, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- Dominick Salvatore, 1998. "International Monetary and Financial Arrangements: Present and Future," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 375-416, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.