Competition in Spanish Banking
AbstractWe assess the state of competition in the Spanish banking system at the dawn of the integration of the European financial market. Banking in Spain has undergone a strong liberalization process in the last fifteen years, which has accelerated recently, evolving from a situation of tight regulation and protection from competition. The outcome of this process is a changing sector in which the recent merger attempts are the most visible phenomena. In the paper we analyze the recent history of the industry as well as the current situation by using the tools of both finance and industrial organization. Our objectives are to provide basic evidence, pose some fundamental issues and problems, survey, and extend wherever possible the existing work, and try to draw a coherent picture of Spanish banking.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers in its series CEPR Discussion Papers with number 314.
Date of creation: Jul 1989
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Maixe-Altes, J. Carles, 2008. "Organisational change and the computerisation of British and Spanish savings banks, circa 1965-1985," MPRA Paper 14479, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Honohan, Patrick & Vittas, Dimitri, 1996. "Bank regulation and the network paradigm : policy implications for developing and transition economies," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1631, The World Bank.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Miguel Meléndez-Jiménez & Antonio Morales, 2011. "With whom to merge? A tale of the Spanish banking deregulation process," SERIEs, Spanish Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 159-184, June.
- Manuel Espitia Escuer & Yolanda Polo Redondo & Vicente Salas Fumas, 1991. "Estructura de los mercados geográficos, comportamiento y resultados de la Cajas de Ahorros en España," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 15(3), pages 671-700, September.
- Alfredo Martín-Oliver & Vicente Salas-Fumás & Jesús Saurina, 2008.
"Search cost and price dispersion in vertically related markets: the case of bank loans and deposits,"
Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers
0825, Banco de Espa�a.
- Alfredo Martin-Oliver & Vicente Salas-Fumas & Jesús Saurina, 2008. "Search Cost and Price Dispersion in Vertically Related Markets: The Case of Bank Loans and Deposits," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(4), pages 297-323, December.
- Gary C. Zimmerman, 1995. "Implementing the single banking market in Europe," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, pages 35-51.
- Centeno, Mario & Mello, Antonio S., 1999. "How integrated are the money market and the bank loans market within the European Union?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 75-106, January.
- Batiz-Lazo, Bernardo & Maixe-Altes, J. Carles, 2006. "Organisational change and the computerisation of British and Spanish savings banks, 1965-1985," MPRA Paper 804, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.