Financial regulation and banking sector performance: a comparison of bad loan problems in Japan and Korea
AbstractWe estimate the bad loan rate in Japan and Korea for 1973-1992 using data on defaults on notes issued by the corporate sector. This method exploits institutional features common in both countries which suggest a close linkage between default on notes and default on bank borrowing. Our main findings are as follows. First, the pattern of the estimated bad loan rate series generally conforms to past business cycle patterns in both countries. Second, the bad loan rate is substantially higher in Korea than Japan. Lastly, a much tighter linkage is observed for Japan between the bad loan rate and a set of plausible economic explanatory variables. We offer some interpretation for these findings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its journal Economic Review.
Volume (Year): (1994)
Issue (Month): ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sheard, Paul, 1989. "The main bank system and corporate monitoring and control in Japan," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 399-422, May.
- Hoshi, Takeo & Kashyap, Anil & Scharfstein, David, 1991.
"Corporate Structure, Liquidity, and Investment: Evidence from Japanese Industrial Groups,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(1), pages 33-60, February.
- Takeo Hoshi & Anil Kashyap & David Scharfstein, 1989. "Corporate structure, liquidity, and investment: evidence from Japanese industrial groups," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 82, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1984. "Financial Intermediation and Delegated Monitoring," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(3), pages 393-414, July.
- Sadahiko Suzuki & Richard W Wright, 1985. "Financial Structure and Bankruptcy Risk in Japanese Companies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 16(1), pages 97-110, March.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & George. M Pushner, 1995.
"Ownership Structure and Corporate Performance in Japan,"
NBER Working Papers
4092, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Pushner, George M., 1994. "Ownership structure and corporate performance in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 239-261, October.
- Harvie, Charles & Pahlavani, Mosayeb, 2006. "Sources of Economic Growth in South Korea: An Application of the ARDL Analysis in the Presence of Structural Breaks - 1980-2005," Economics Working Papers wp06-17, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2005.
"Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?,"
DULBEA Working Papers
in, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Pierre-Guillaume Meon & Laurent Weill, 2005. "Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(5), pages 315-326.
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2003. "Can Mergers in Europe Help Banks Hedge Against Macroeconomic Risk," Working Papers of LaRGE Research Center 2003-05, Laboratoire de Recherche en Gestion et Economie (LaRGE), Université de Strasbourg (France).
- Pierre-Guillaume Méon & Laurent Weill, 2005. "Can mergers in Europe help banks hedge against macroeconomic risk?," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8370, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Harvie, Charles & Pahlavani, Mosayeb, 2006. "Testing for Structural Breaks in the Korean Economy 1980-2005: An Application of the Innovational Outlier and Additive Outlier Models," Economics Working Papers wp06-09, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
- Harvie, Charles & Lee, Hyun-Hoon, 2003. "Export-Led Industrialisation and Growth - Korea's Economic Miracle 1962-89," Economics Working Papers wp03-01, School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.