The wage curve : evidence from the Finnish metal industry panel data
AbstractIn this paper we study the wage curve with Finnish metal industry panel data from the period 1991–95. As an unemployment variable we use the unemployment rate of the regional county. The unemployment rate is split into short- and long-term unemployment. The effect of active labour market policies is controlled for by augmenting the wage equation with a variable for subsidised employment schemes. The estimated unemployment elasticity of wages in the Finnish metal industry is somewhat smaller than the elasticities reported by other studies. Long-term unemployment increases wages and subsidised employment schemes decrease them. Their combined effect is zero. The regional fixed effects estimate of the slope of the wage curve is –0.04. The dependent variable is the logarithm of the fixed hourly wage and the unemployment variable is corrected so that the long-term unemployed are removed from the pool of unemployed and the labour force and the workers in subsidised employment schemes are considered as unemployed. Estimations with regional means indicate that common group errors bias the estimates of standard errors significantly.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 14 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 2005.
"Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199279173.
- Layard, Richard & Nickell, Stephen & Jackman, Richard, 1991. "Unemployment: Macroeconomic Performance and the Labour Market," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198284345.
- Holmlund, B. & Skedinger, P., 1988. "Wage Bargaining And Wage Drift: Evidence From The Swedish Wood Industry," Papers 419, Stockholm - International Economic Studies.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, January.
- David Card, 1995.
"The Wage Curve: A Review,"
722, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- repec:pri:indrel:722 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hoddinott, John, 1996. "Wages and Unemployment in an Urban African Labour Market," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 106(439), pages 1610-26, November.
- Tomi Kyyrä, 1999. "Post-Unemployment Wages and Economic Incentives to Exit from Unemployment," Research Reports 56, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Blien, Uwe, 1998. "The German wage curve: evidence from the IAB employment sample," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 135-142, November.
- Jarkko Turunen, 1998. "Disaggregated wage curves in the United States: evidence from panel data of young workers," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(12), pages 1665-1677.
- Bratsberg, Bernt & Turunen, Jarkko, 1996. "Wage curve evidence from panel data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 345-353, June.
- Calmfors, Lars & Forslund, Anders, 1991. "Real-Wage Determination and Labour Market Policies: The Swedish Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(408), pages 1130-48, September.
- Moulton, Brent R., 1986. "Random group effects and the precision of regression estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 385-397, August.
- Blanchflower, David G. & Oswald, Andrew J., 2005.
"The Wage Curve Reloaded,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1665, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sari Pekkala, 2003. "What Draws People to Urban Growth Centers: Jobs vs. Pay?," Discussion Papers 310, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- repec:ese:iserwp:2009-17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Morrison, Philip S. & Papps, Kerry L. & Poot, Jacques, 2006. "Wages, employment, labour turnover and the accessibility of local labour markets," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 639-663, October.
- Böckerman, Petri & Laaksonen, Seppo & Vainiomäki, Jari, 2006. "Micro-level evidence on wage rigidities in Finland," MPRA Paper 1811, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pablo García & Paulina Granados, 2005. "The Wage Curve in Chile," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 320, Central Bank of Chile.
- Maczulskij, Terhi, 2013. "Public–private sector wage differentials and the business cycle," Economic Systems, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 284-301.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.