Effect of publicly and privately financed R&D on total factor productivity growth
AbstractThe effects of privately and publicly financed R&D on total factor productivity growth are examined. Total factor productivity (TFP) is decomposed into markup, exogenous demand, factor price, and publicly and privately financed R&D effects at the industry level. The constructed dataset consists of 11 Finnish manufacturing industries in 1975–1993. The results suggest that both privately and publicly financed R&D has a considerable effect on the TFP rate of growth but R&D explains only part of the technical progress. On the average, total R&D accounted for about 9 percent of the TFP rate of growth in manufacturing industries while one fourth of the growth could be attributed to the residual technical change. Exogenous demand effect was the biggest component, accounting almost for one third of the TFP rate of growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Finnish Economic Association in its journal Finnish Economic Papers.
Volume (Year): 13 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L6 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & Theofanis P. Mamuneas, 1994. "Infrastructure and Public R&D Investments, and the Growth of Factor Productivity in US Manufacturing Industries," NBER Working Papers 4845, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Returns to Research and Development Expenditures in the Private Sector,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 49-81
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1980. "Returns to Research and Development Expenditures in the Private Sector," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Measurement, pages 419-462 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.