L'effet pro-concurrentiel de l'intégration européenne. Une analyse de l'évolution des taux de marge dans les industries manufacturières françaises
AbstractWe analyse the evolution of French mark-ups and their determinants in manufacturing industries from 1986 to 2004, using an extended version of Roeger?s specification. With a value of 13.8%, French mark-ups in manufacturing are found to be slightly above those found by Görg and Warzynski (2006) in UK manufacturing. Over the period, French mark-ups have gone down by 4 to 5%. We interpret this as being the pro-competitive consequences of European integration. We also find that the implementation of the Euro in 2002 has been associated with an increase of mark-up by 2%. French mark-ups are contra-cyclical and depend upon openness to international trade, industry concentration. These stylised facts must not conceal the fact that sectors are highly heterogeneous, where price determination by firms is highly sector specific. JEL Classification: D43 ; L1 ; L6 ; F14
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Presses de Sciences-Po in its journal Revue de l'OFCE.
Volume (Year): n° 108 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-de-l-ofce.htm
mark-ups; competition; european integration; industrial structures; international trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Frédéric Warzynski, 2008. "L’effet pro-concurrentiel de l’intégration européenne : une analyse de l’évolution des taux de marge dans les industries manufacturières françaises," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2008-09, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Bellone, Flora & Musso, Patrick & Nesta, Lionel & Warzynski, Frédéric, 2007. "L'effet pro-concurrentiel de l'intégration européenne: Une analyse de l'évolution des taux de marge dans les industries manufacturiéres francaises," Working Papers 08-2, University of Aarhus, Aarhus School of Business, Department of Economics.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bottasso, Anna & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2001. "Market power, productivity and the EU Single Market Program: Evidence from a panel of Italian firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 167-186, January.
- Konings, Jozef & Van Cayseele, Patrick & Warzynski, Frederic, 2001.
"The dynamics of industrial mark-ups in two small open economies: does national competition policy matter?,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 841-859, April.
- Jozef Konings & Patrick Van Cayseele & Frederic Warzynski, 1999. "The Dynamics of Industrial Markups in Two Small Open Economies: Does National Competition Policy Matter ?," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces9914, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Domowitz, Ian & Hubbard, R Glenn & Petersen, Bruce C, 1988.
"Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(1), pages 55-66, February.
- Ian Domowitz & R. Glenn Hubbard & Bruce C. Petersen, 1988. "Market Structure and Cyclical Fluctuations in U.S. Manufacturing," NBER Working Papers 2115, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Mairesse, Jacques, 2010.
"Panel Data Estimates of the Production Function and Product and Labor Market Imperfections,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5176, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2013. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 1-46, 01.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2008. "Panel Data Estimates Of The Production Function And Product And Labor Market Imperfections," NBER Working Papers 13975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2009. "Panel Data Estimates of the Production Function and Product and Labor Market Imperfections," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-001/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Mairesse, Jacques, 2007. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Working Paper Series 0782, European Central Bank.
- S. Dobbelaere & J. Mairesse, 2009. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/586, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Jacques-Bernard Sauner-Leroy, 2003. "The impact of the implementation of the Single Market Programme on productive efficiency and on mark-ups in the European Union manufacturing industry," European Economy - Economic Papers 192, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Holger Görg & Frederic Warzynski, 2006. "The Dynamics of Price Cost Margins: Evidence from UK Manufacturing," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 303-318.
- Bruno Crépon & Rozen Desplatz & Jacques Mairesse, 2010.
"Price-Cost Margins and Rent Sharing: Evidence from a Panel of French Manufacturing Firms,"
in: Contributions in Memory of Zvi Griliches, pages 583-610
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bruno CRÉPON & Rozen DESPLATZ & Jacques MAIRESSE, 2005. "Price-Cost Margins and Rent Sharing: Evidence from a Panel of French Manufacturing Firms," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 79-80, pages 583-610.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Stefano Scarpetta, 1999. "The Levels and Cyclical Behaviour of Mark-ups Across Countries and Market Structures," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 213, OECD Publishing.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1991. "Markups and the Business Cycle," NBER Chapters, in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1991, Volume 6, pages 63-140 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Flora Bellone & Patrick Musso & Lionel Nesta & Michel Quéré, 2006. "Caractéristiques et performances des firmes exportatrices françaises," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 98(3), pages 183-212.
- Harald Badinger, 2007. "Has the EU's Single Market Programme Fostered Competition? Testing for a Decrease in Mark-up Ratios in EU Industries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(4), pages 497-519, 08.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization, in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.