Changing Institutions in the European Market: the Impact on Mark-ups and Rents Allocation
AbstractIn this paper, we investigate whether the completion of the Single Market Programme has enhanced competition on the product markets across European countries, while taking into account the companion structural reforms undertaken by the member countries. In particular, since the Single Market Programme went hand in hand with major reforms in the labour market and in the institutional setting of important industries (i.e. network industries), we test for a break in both mark-ups and the division of rent between capital and labour. For this purpose we encompass efficient bargaining in the labour market in both our theoretical and empirical model. Using industry data for ten EU countries we find that, without controlling for changes in the rent sharing, mark-up estimates tend to increase in the 1990s. However, once we assume efficient bargaining in the labour market, mark-ups remain virtually unchanged or even decrease in some sectors or groups of countries; the result stems from the declining shares of rents accruing to workers owing to a decline in their bargaining power. Without controlling for this development, a rise in firmsï¿½ profitability due to rent reallocation could be wrongly interpreted as an increase in market power. At the industry level the evidence is particularly strong for high and medium-tech manufacturing, for construction and for those activities that went through deep institutional changes and privatization programmes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of the Treasury, Ministry of the Economy and of Finance in its series Working Papers with number 11.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Mark-ups; Rent Sharing; Bargaining;
Other versions of this item:
- Antonio Bassanetti & Roberto Torrini & Francesco Zollino, 2010. "Changing institutions in the European market: the impact on mark-ups and rents allocation," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 781, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- J50 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - General
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Griffith, R & Harrison, R & Simpson, H, 2006.
"Product market reform and innovation in the EU,"
Open Access publications from University College London
http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Rachel Griffith & Rupert Harrison & Helen Simpson, 2006. "Product market reform and innovation in the EU," IFS Working Papers W06/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Griffith, Rachel & Harrison, Rupert & Simpson, Helen, 2006. "Product Market Reform and Innovation in the EU," CEPR Discussion Papers 5849, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dew-Becker, Ian & Gordon, Robert J, 2008.
"The Role of Labour Market Changes in the Slowdown of European Productivity Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6722, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ian Dew-Becker & Robert J. Gordon, 2008. "The Role of Labor Market Changes in the Slowdown of European Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 13840, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Mairesse, Jacques, 2010.
"Panel Data Estimates of the Production Function and Product and Labor Market Imperfections,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5176, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2013. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 28(1), pages 1-46, 01.
- Dobbelaere, Sabien & Mairesse, Jacques, 2007. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Working Paper Series 0782, European Central Bank.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2008. "Panel Data Estimates Of The Production Function And Product And Labor Market Imperfections," NBER Working Papers 13975, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- S. Dobbelaere & J. Mairesse, 2009. "Panel data estimates of the production function and product and labor market imperfections," Working Papers of Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, Ghent University, Belgium 09/586, Ghent University, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Sabien Dobbelaere & Jacques Mairesse, 2009. "Panel Data Estimates of the Production Function and Product and Labor Market Imperfections," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 09-001/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- repec:aah:aarhec:1998-6 is not listed on IDEAS
- Harald Badinger, 2007.
"Has the EU’s Single Market Programme fostered competition? Testing for a decrease in markup ratios in EU industries,"
135, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Harald Badinger, 2007. "Has the EU's Single Market Programme Fostered Competition? Testing for a Decrease in Mark-up Ratios in EU Industries," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 69(4), pages 497-519, 08.
- Joaquim Oliveira Martins & Stefano Scarpetta & Dirk Pilat, 1996. "Mark-Up Ratios in Manufacturing Industries: Estimates for 14 OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 162, OECD Publishing.
- Ghazala Azmat & Alan Manning & John Van Reenen, 2007.
"Privatization, Entry Regulation and the Decline of Labor's Share of GDP: A Cross-Country Analysis of the Network Industries,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0806, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Azmat, Ghazala & Manning, Alan & Van Reenen, John, 2007. "Privatization, Entry Regulation and the Decline of Labour's Share of GDP: A Cross-Country Analysis of the Network Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 6348, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Andrea Bassanini & Romain Duval, 2006. "The Determinants of Unemployment across OECD Countries," Post-Print halshs-00120584, HAL.
- Damien J. Neven & Lars-Hendrik Röller & Zhentang Zhang, 2002. "Endogenous Costs and Price-Cost Margins," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 294, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2013.
"Competition in the portuguese economy: Estimated price-cost margins under imperfect labour markets,"
w201308, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- João Amador & Ana Cristina Soares, 2013. "Competition in the Portuguese economy: Estimated price-cost margins under imperfect labour markets," Economic Bulletin and Financial Stability Report Articles, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Sabatini).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.