The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems
AbstractThere has been extremely rapid transformation of the food retail sector in developing regions in the past 5 to10 years, accompanied by a further consolidation and multi-nationalization of the supermarket sector itself. This organizational change, accompanied by intense competition, has driven changes in the organization of procurement systems of supermarket chains, toward centralized and regionalized systems, use of specialized/dedicated wholesalers and preferred supplier systems, and demanding, private quality standards. These changes in the system have in turn determined the very recent rise of the use of contracts between supermarkets and agrifood producers in these regions to cover provision of services and provision for risk management, as well as requirements for demanding quality and safety attributes, which require substantial investment in technological change and ‘upgrading’ at the producer level. This paper presents a brief discussion of these trends, followed by a conceptual framework to explain this phenomenon, illustrated with empirical evidence drawn mainly from Latin America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in its journal The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
supermarket chains; procurement systems; quality standards; agrifood producers;
Other versions of this item:
- Reardon, Thomas & Timmer, C. Peter & Berdegue, Julio A., 2004. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(2).
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Julie A. Caswell & Siny Joseph, 2007.
"Consumer Demand for Quality: Major Determinant for Agricultural and Food Trade in the Future?,"
Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports
097, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Caswell, Julie & Joseph, Siny, 2007. "Consumer Demand for Quality: Major Determinant for Agricultural and Food Trade in the Future?," Research Reports 149196, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Julie A. Caswell & Siny Joseph, 2007. "Consumer Demand for Quality: Major Determinant for Agricultural and Food Trade in the Future?," Working Papers 2007-4, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Vermeulen, S. J. & Aggarwal, Pramod & Ainslie, A. & Angelone, C. & Campbell, B. M. & Challinor, A. J. & Hansen, J. W. & Ingram, J. S. I. & Jarvis, A. & Kristjanson, P. & Lau, C. & Nelson, G. C. & Thor, 2010. "Agriculture, food security and climate change: outlook for knowledge, tools and action. Background paper prepared for The Hague Conference on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change, 31 October ," IWMI Research Reports H044643, International Water Management Institute.
- Chemnitz, Christine & Grethe, Harald & Kleinwechter, Ulrich, 2007.
"Quality Standards for Food Products - A Particular Burden for Small Producers in Developing Countries?,"
Working Paper Series
10010, Humboldt University Berlin, Department Agricultural Economics.
- Chemnitz, Christine & Grethe, Harald & Kleinwechter, Ulrich, 2007. "Quality Standards for Food Products - A Particular Burden for Small Producers in Developing Countries?," 106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France 7926, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Pingali, Prabhu, 2007.
"Westernization of Asian diets and the transformation of food systems: Implications for research and policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 281-298, June.
- Prabhu Pingali, 2004. "Westernization of Asian Diets and the Transformation of Food Systems: Implications for research and policy," Working Papers 04-17, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Asfaw, Abay, 2007. "Supermarket purchases and the dietary patterns of households in Guatemala:," IFPRI discussion papers 696, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Bastiaensen, Johan & Van Hecken, Gert, 2009. "The Potential and Limitations of Markets and Payments for Ecosystem Services in Agricultural Landscape Restoration Critical Reflections Inspired by an Assessment of the RISEMP Program in Matiguás-Rí," IOB Discussion Papers 2009.02, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Wells, Patricia Bryn & Saghaian, Sayed H. & Osborne, William, 2013. "The Expansion of Food Retail in Developing Countries and Its Effects on the Hunger Index," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142630, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Kersting, Sarah & Wollni, Meike, 2011. "Public-private partnerships and GLOBALGAP standard adoption: evidence from small-scale fruit and vegetable farmers in Thailand," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114761, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bastiaensen, Johan & Marchetti, Peter, 2010. "Microfinanzas Rurales y Cadenas de Valor Agropecuarias," IOB Working Papers 2010.02, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.