The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems
AbstractThere has been extremely rapid transformation of the food retail sector in developing regions in the past 5 to10 years, accompanied by a further consolidation and multi-nationalization of the supermarket sector itself. This organizational change, accompanied by intense competition, has driven changes in the organization of procurement systems of supermarket chains, toward centralized and regionalized systems, use of specialized/dedicated wholesalers and preferred supplier systems, and demanding, private quality standards. These changes in the system have in turn determined the very recent rise of the use of contracts between supermarkets and agrifood producers in these regions to cover provision of services and provision for risk management, as well as requirements for demanding quality and safety attributes, which require substantial investment in technological change and ‘upgrading’ at the producer level. This paper presents a brief discussion of these trends, followed by a conceptual framework to explain this phenomenon, illustrated with empirical evidence drawn mainly from Latin America.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations in its journal The Electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
supermarket chains; procurement systems; quality standards; agrifood producers;
Other versions of this item:
- Reardon, Thomas & Timmer, C. Peter & Berdegue, Julio A., 2004. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Developing Countries: Induced Organizational, Institutional, and Technological Change in Agrifood Systems," eJADE: electronic Journal of Agricultural and Development Economics, Food and Agriculture Organization, Agricultural and Development Economics Division, vol. 1(2).
- Q10 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - General
- Q12 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Agriculture - - - Micro Analysis of Farm Firms, Farm Households, and Farm Input Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fernando Balsevich & Julio A. Berdegué & Luis Flores & Denise Mainville & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "Supermarkets and Produce Quality and Safety Standards in Latin America," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(5), pages 1147-1154.
- Reardon, Thomas & Codron, Jean-Marie & Busch, Lawrence & Bingen, R. James & Harris, Craig, 1999. "Global Change In Agrifood Grades And Standards: Agribusiness Strategic Responses In Developing Countries," International Food and Agribusiness Management Review, International Food and Agribusiness Management Association (IAMA), vol. 2(03/04).
- Hueth, Brent & Ligon, Ethan & Wolf, Stephen & Wu, Steven, 1999. "Incentive Instruments in Agricultural Contracts: Input Control, Monitoring, Quality Measurement, and Price Risk," Staff General Research Papers 5237, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jean-Marie Codron & Zouhair Bouhsina & Fatiha Fort & Emilie Coudel & Aurélie Puech, 2004. "Supermarkets in Low-income Mediterranean Countries: Impacts on Horticulture Systems," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 587-602, 09.
- Dave D. Weatherspoon & Thomas Reardon, 2003. "The Rise of Supermarkets in Africa: Implications for Agrifood Systems and the Rural Poor," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 21, pages 333-355, 05.
- Vermeulen, S. J. & Aggarwal, Pramod & Ainslie, A. & Angelone, C. & Campbell, B. M. & Challinor, A. J. & Hansen, J. W. & Ingram, J. S. I. & Jarvis, A. & Kristjanson, P. & Lau, C. & Nelson, G. C. & Thor, 2010. "Agriculture, food security and climate change: outlook for knowledge, tools and action. Background paper prepared for The Hague Conference on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change, 31 October ," IWMI Research Reports H044643, International Water Management Institute.
- Wells, Patricia Bryn & Saghaian, Sayed H. & Osborne, William, 2013. "The Expansion of Food Retail in Developing Countries and Its Effects on the Hunger Index," 2013 Annual Meeting, February 2-5, 2013, Orlando, Florida 142630, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Chemnitz, Christine & Grethe, Harald & Kleinwechter, Ulrich, 2007.
"Quality Standards for Food Products - A Particular Burden for Small Producers in Developing Countries?,"
106th Seminar, October 25-27, 2007, Montpellier, France
7926, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Chemnitz, Christine & Grethe, Harald & Kleinwechter, Ulrich, 2007. "Quality Standards for Food Products - A Particular Burden for Small Producers in Developing Countries?," Working Paper Series 10010, Humboldt University Berlin, Department Agricultural Economics.
- Trebbin, Anika, 2014. "Linking small farmers to modern retail through producer organizations – Experiences with producer companies in India," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 45(C), pages 35-44.
- Vamsidhar Reddy, T.S. & Hall, Andy & Sulaiman V., Rasheed, 2010. "New Organisational and Institutional Vehicles for Managing Innovation in South Asia: Opportunities for Using Research for Technical Change and Social Gain," MERIT Working Papers 054, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Julie Subervie & Isabelle Vagneron, 2013.
"A drop of water in the Indian ocean? The impact of GlobalGap certification on lychee farmers in Madagascar,"
189575, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Subervie, Julie & Vagneron, Isabelle, 2013. "A Drop of Water in the Indian Ocean? The Impact of GlobalGap Certification on Lychee Farmers in Madagascar," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 57-73.
- Julie A. Caswell & Siny Joseph, 2007.
"Consumer Demand for Quality: Major Determinant for Agricultural and Food Trade in the Future?,"
2007-4, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Resource Economics.
- Caswell, Julie & Joseph, Siny, 2007. "Consumer Demand for Quality: Major Determinant for Agricultural and Food Trade in the Future?," Research Reports 149196, University of Connecticut, Food Marketing Policy Center.
- Julie A. Caswell & Siny Joseph, 2007. "Consumer Demand for Quality: Major Determinant for Agricultural and Food Trade in the Future?," Food Marketing Policy Center Research Reports 097, University of Connecticut, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Charles J. Zwick Center for Food and Resource Policy.
- Bastiaensen, Johan & Marchetti, Peter, 2010. "Microfinanzas Rurales y Cadenas de Valor Agropecuarias," IOB Working Papers 2010.02, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Hendrikse, G.W.J., 2011. "Pooling, Access, and Countervailing Power in Channel Governance," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2011-009-ORG, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus Uni.
- Asfaw, Abay, 2007. "Supermarket purchases and the dietary patterns of households in Guatemala:," IFPRI discussion papers 696, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Kersting, Sarah & Wollni, Meike, 2011. "Public-private partnerships and GLOBALGAP standard adoption: evidence from small-scale fruit and vegetable farmers in Thailand," 2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland 114761, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Bastiaensen, Johan & Van Hecken, Gert, 2009. "The Potential and Limitations of Markets and Payments for Ecosystem Services in Agricultural Landscape Restoration Critical Reflections Inspired by an Assessment of the RISEMP Program in Matiguás-Rí," IOB Discussion Papers 2009.02, Universiteit Antwerpen, Institute of Development Policy and Management (IOB).
- Prabhu Pingali, 2004.
"Westernization of Asian Diets and the Transformation of Food Systems: Implications for research and policy,"
04-17, Agricultural and Development Economics Division of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO - ESA).
- Pingali, Prabhu, 2007. "Westernization of Asian diets and the transformation of food systems: Implications for research and policy," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 281-298, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Gustavo Anríquez to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.