Efeito do Programa Bolsa Família sobre a oferta de trabalho das mães
AbstractThe impact of the Bolsa Família Program on the labor supply of working mothers - This paper investigates the existence of a possible adverse incentive on the labor supply and weekly working hours of beneficiary mothers of the Bolsa Família Program. Three control groups are analyzed using propensity-score matching to compare non-beneficiary mothers to beneficiary mothers. The results show that there is a wealth effect related to the value of the benefits, given that the larger the benefit, the less active beneficiary mothers are in the labor market. Nonetheless, the net effect is positive, showing that there is a substitution effect due to a reduction in the children´s labor supply, a rise in the mother's available time, as well as decreasing the stigma.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Instituto de Economia, Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) in its journal Revista Economia e Sociedade.
Volume (Year): 41 (2010)
Issue (Month): (December)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Caixa Postal: 6135 - CEP 13083-970, Campinas - SP - Brasil
Phone: (019) 788-5726
Fax: (019) 289-1512
Web page: http://www.eco.unicamp.br/
More information through EDIRC
Bolsa Família Program; Female labor supply; Adverse incentives; Matching; Heckman's procedure.;
Other versions of this item:
- Priscilla Albuquerque Tavares, 2008. "Efeito Do Programa Bolsa Família Sobre A Oferta De Trabalho Das Maes," Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais], in: Anais do XIII Seminário sobre a Economia Mineira [Proceedings of the 13th Seminar on the Economy of Minas Gerais] Cedeplar, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais.
- Priscilla de Albuquerque Tavares, 2008. "O Efeito do Programa Bolsa Família sobre a Oferta de Trabalho das Mães," Anais do XXXVI Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 36th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 200807211028050, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
- J18 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Public Policy
- J22 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Time Allocation and Labor Supply
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Firpo, Sergio & Pieri, Renan & Pedroso Jr., Euclides & Souza, Andre Portela, 2013. "Evidence of eligibility manipulation for conditional cash transfer programs," Textos para discussÃ£o 352, Escola de Economia de São Paulo, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Lia Chitolina & Miguel Nathan Foguel & Naercio Menezes-Filho, 2013. "The Impact of the Expansion of the Bolsa Família Programme on the Time Allocation of Youths and Labour Supply of Adults," Working Papers 120, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Sergei Suarez Dillon Soares, 2012. "Bolsa Família, its Design, its Impacts and Possibilities for the Future," Working Papers 89, International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth.
- Sergei Soares & Natália Sátyro, 2009. "O Programa Bolsa Família:Desenho Institucional,Impactos E Possibilidades Futuras," Discussion Papers 1424, Instituto de Pesquisa Econômica Aplicada - IPEA.
- Forbes, Kinisha, 2011. "Inequality in crisis and recovery : revealing the divides: the case of Brazil," ILO Working Papers 469849, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonio Carlos Macedo e Silva).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.