Lead bank quality and adverse rating announcements
AbstractPurpose – This paper seeks to examine whether the market values the monitoring activity undertaken by a quality bank in the presence of a credit rating agency. Specifically, the question is asked whether the quality of a lead lending bank influences a market reaction to adverse rating announcements concerning its borrowers. Design/methodology/approach – The event study methodology and various bank quality proxies (size, growth rate in assets, profitability, capital ratio, bank's credit rating, and ownership) are used to examine the market reaction when a borrower's bank loan rating is placed with negative implication or is downgraded. Findings – Firms which are certified and monitored by high-quality banks are less susceptible to negative market reactions when adverse rating announcements are made. Originality/value – The findings indicate high-quality lending banks sustain investors' confidence in their borrowers in the face of deteriorating news. The paper argues that investors and borrowers value monitoring from a high-quality bank, which is an implication of a bank having access to private information about its borrowers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Emerald Group Publishing in its journal Studies in Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 27 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com
Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diamond, Douglas W, 1991. "Monitoring and Reputation: The Choice between Bank Loans and Directly Placed Debt," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(4), pages 689-721, August.
- Arnoud W. A. Boot & Anjan V. Thakor, 2000.
"Can Relationship Banking Survive Competition?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(2), pages 679-713, 04.
- Hsueh, L. Paul & Liu, Y. Angela, 1992. "Market anticipation and the effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 225-239, May.
- Huffman, Stephen P. & Ward, David J., 1996. "The prediction of default for high yield bond issues," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 75-89.
- Sandeep Dahiya & Anthony Saunders & Anand Srinivasan, 2003. "Financial Distress and Bank Lending Relationships," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(1), pages 375-399, 02.
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Leftwich, Richard W., 1986. "The effect of bond rating changes on common stock prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 57-89, September.
- Fields, L. Paige & Fraser, Donald R. & Berry, Tammy L. & Byers, Steven, 2006. "Do Bank Loan Relationships Still Matter?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 38(5), pages 1195-1209, August.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Liu, Wei-Lin, 2008. "Bank incentives and suboptimal lending decisions: Evidence from the valuation effect of bank loan announcements in Japan," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(6), pages 915-929, June.
- Gibson, Michael S, 1995. "Can Bank Health Affect Investment? Evidence from Japan," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 68(3), pages 281-308, July.
- Chen, Andrew H. & Mazumdar, Sumon C. & Hung, Mao-wei, 1996. "Regulations, lender identity and bank loan pricing," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 1-14, May.
- James, Christopher, 1987. "Some evidence on the uniqueness of bank loans," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 217-235, December.
- Katerina Simons, 1993. "Why do banks syndicate loans?," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 45-52.
- Amy Dittmar, 2004. "Capital Structure in Corporate Spin-Offs," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 77(1), pages 9-44, January.
- Fama, Eugene F., 1985. "What's different about banks?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 29-39, January.
- Mitchell Berlin, 1996. "For better and for worse: three lending relationships," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue Nov, pages 3-12.
- Lummer, Scott L. & McConnell, John J., 1989. "Further evidence on the bank lending process and the capital-market response to bank loan agreements," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 99-122, November.
- Sandeep Dahiya & Manju Puri & Anthony Saunders, 2003. "Bank Borrowers and Loan Sales: New Evidence on the Uniqueness of Bank Loans," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76(4), pages 563-582, October.
- Lily Hua Fang, 2005. "Investment Bank Reputation and the Price and Quality of Underwriting Services," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(6), pages 2729-2761, December.
- DeAngelo, Linda Elizabeth, 1981. "Auditor size and audit quality," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-199, December.
- Byers, Steven S. & Fraser, Donald R. & Shockley, Richard L., 1998. "Lender identity and borrower returns: The evidence from foreign bank loans to U.S. corporations," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 81-94.
- Boscaljon, Brian & Ho, Chia-Cheng, 2005. "Information content of bank loan announcements to Asian corporations during periods of economic uncertainty," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 369-389, February.
- Hansen, Robert S & Torregrosa, Paul, 1992. " Underwriter Compensation and Corporate Monitoring," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1537-55, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.