Money Balances in the Production Function: A Retrospective Look
AbstractThis paper surveys the literature on real balances in the production function since Sinai-Stokes (1972). The discussion has now moved beyond the question of real balances belonging in the production function to the issue of how to model the effect of the financial sector on the real economy. Results reported argue that the effect of the degree of optimality of the financial sector (as measured by the interest rate) is a significant shift parameter in the production function. While this specification may be improved on in future work, results to date indicate that an aggregate production function that does not take into account the effects of the financial sector is not completely specified.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Economic Association in its journal Eastern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 15 (1989)
Issue (Month): 4 (Oct-Dec)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nguyen, Hong V, 1986. "Money in the Aggregate Production Function: Reexamination and Further Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 141-51, May.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie, 1982. "Recursive stability analysis of linear regression relationships: An exploratory methodology," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 31-76, May.
- Nadiri, M Ishaq, 1969. "The Determinants of Real Cash Balances in the U.S. Total Manufacturing Sector," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 173-96, May.
- Pierson, Gail, 1972. "The Role of Money in Economic Growth," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 86(3), pages 383-95, August.
- Subrahmanyam, Ganti, 1980. "Real Money Balances as a Factor of Production: Some New Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 280-83, May.
- Otto Eckstein & Allen Sinai, 1986. "The Mechanisms of the Business Cycle in the Postwar Era," NBER Chapters, in: The American Business Cycle: Continuity and Change, pages 39-122 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Niccoli, Alberto, 1975. "Real Money Balances: An Omitted Variable from the Production Function? A Comment," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(2), pages 241-43, May.
- Moroney, John R, 1972. "The Current State of Money and Production Theory," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(2), pages 335-43, May.
- Ben-Zion, Uri & Ruttan, Vernon W, 1975. "Money in the Production Function: An Interpretation of Empirical Results," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(2), pages 246-47, May.
- Keith Christian Jensen & Shyam Kamath & Robert Bennett, 1987. "Money in the Production Function: An Alternative Test Procedure," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 259-269, Jul-Sep.
- Short, Eugenie Dudding, 1979. "A New Look at Real Money Balances as a Variable in the Production Function," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 326-39, August.
- Jong S. You, 1981. "Money, Technology, and the Production Function: An Empirical Study," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 515-24, August.
- Johnson, Harry G, 1969. "Inside Money, Outside Money, Income, Wealth, and Welfare in Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 30-45, February.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00800539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Benchimol , Jonathan, 2013. "Money in the Production Function: a new Keynesian DSGE perspective," ESSEC Working Papers WP1304, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Odedokun, M. O., 1996. "Alternative econometric approaches for analysing the role of the financial sector in economic growth: Time-series evidence from LDCs," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 119-146, June.
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00800539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jonathan Benchimol, 2013. "Money in the Production Function : A New Keynesian DSGE Perspective," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00795547, HAL.
- Seiya Fujisaki, 2012. "Economic Stability and Interest-Rate Controls in an Open-Economy Model with Productive Money," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 32(4), pages 3053-3060.
- Allen Sinai & Houston H. Stokes, 1991. "Real Money Balances in the Production Function: A Comment," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 533-535, Oct-Dec.
- Darrat, Ali F. & Al-Yousif, Yousif K., 1998. "Does money matter in developing economies? Some evidence from the Solow estimator," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 213-220.
- Odedokun, Matthew O., 1999. "How the Size of the Monetary Sector Affects Economic Growth: Econometric Evidence from Industrial and Developing Countries," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 213-241, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.