An Update on Money in the Production Function
AbstractUsing the Cobb-Douglas production function, this study tests whether money is a significant determinant of output. Three log-linear specifications are applied to U.S. annual data from 1959-85. Real output is expressed as a function of labor, capital, and real money balances. M1, M2, and M3 are tested in each of the three specifications. All three definitions of money are significant positive determinants of output in the unrestricted Cobb-Douglas. However, when the sum of the elasticities is restricted to one, the money coefficients become negative. This inconsistency needs to be further examined.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Eastern Economic Association in its journal Eastern Economic Journal.
Volume (Year): 15 (1989)
Issue (Month): 3 (Jul-Sep)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Simos, Evangelos O., 1981. "Real money balances as a productive input : Further evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 207-225.
- Keith Christian Jensen & Shyam Kamath & Robert Bennett, 1987. "Money in the Production Function: An Alternative Test Procedure," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 13(3), pages 259-269, Jul-Sep.
- Short, Eugenie Dudding, 1979. "A New Look at Real Money Balances as a Variable in the Production Function," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(3), pages 326-39, August.
- Subrahmanyam, Ganti, 1980. "Real Money Balances as a Factor of Production: Some New Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 62(2), pages 280-83, May.
- Sinai, Allen & Stokes, Houston H, 1972. "Real Money Balances: An Omitted Variable from the Production Functions?," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 54(3), pages 290-96, August.
- Nguyen, Hong V, 1986. "Money in the Aggregate Production Function: Reexamination and Further Evidence," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 18(2), pages 141-51, May.
- repec:hal:cesptp:hal-00800539 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:wpaper:hal-00800539 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jonathan Benchimol, 2013.
"Money in the Production Function : A New Keynesian DSGE Perspective,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Benchimol , Jonathan, 2013. "Money in the Production Function: a new Keynesian DSGE perspective," ESSEC Working Papers WP1304, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Shyam J. Kamath & K. C. Jensen & R. E. Bennett, 1989. "Reprise and Clarification [Money in the Production Function--An Alternative Test Procedure," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 15(3), pages 241-243, Jul-Sep.
- S. J. Kamath & K. C. Jensen & R. E. Bennett, 1991. "A Counter-Counter Critique: A Reply," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 535-541, Oct-Dec.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.