Dynamic price dispersion in airline markets
AbstractThis study analyzes the factors that explain the variations of daily airfares across fare histories, or dynamic price dispersion. Empirical analyses show that dynamic price dispersion is significantly influenced by demand characteristics variables such as population, income and the share of business passengers, as well as by competitive pressures stemming from the presence of low-cost carriers, but not by the competition intensity. The impact of these variables intensifies as the departure date approaches. These results imply that in the presence of low-cost carriers, full-service carriers tend to adopt a more aggressive high-low pricing strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review.
Volume (Year): 45 (2009)
Issue (Month): 6 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600244/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gillen, David & Mantin, Benny, 2009. "Price volatility in the airline markets," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(5), pages 693-709, September.
- Swan, William M. & Adler, Nicole, 2006. "Aircraft trip cost parameters: A function of stage length and seat capacity," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 105-115, March.
- Volodymyr Bilotkach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko & Oleksandr Talavera & Igor Zubenko, 2006.
"Are Airlines' Price-Setting Strategies Different?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
645, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan & Patrick Scholten, 2004.
"Price Dispersion in the Small and in the Large: Evidence from an Internet Price Comparison Site,"
2004-03, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan & Patrick Scholten, 2004. "Price Dispersion In The Small And In The Large: Evidence From An Internet Price Comparison Site," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(4), pages 463-496, December.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2005.
"How do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines,"
NBER Working Papers
11072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2008. "How do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1611-1633, November.
- Austan Goolsbee & Chad Syverson, 2004. "How Do Incumbents Respond to the Threat of Entry? Evidence from the Major Airlines," Working Papers 04-04, NET Institute, revised Dec 2004.
- Diego Escobari & Li Gan, 2007. "Price Dispersion under Costly Capacity and Demand Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 13075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eric Zivot & Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990.
"Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil Price Shock, and the Unit Root Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
944, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 1992. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 251-70, July.
- Zivot, Eric & Andrews, Donald W K, 2002. "Further Evidence on the Great Crash, the Oil-Price Shock, and the Unit-Root Hypothesis," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(1), pages 25-44, January.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Michael D. Smith, 2000.
"Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers,"
INFORMS, vol. 46(4), pages 563-585, April.
- Michael Smith & Erik Brynjolfsson, 1999. "Frictionless Commerce? A Comparison of Internet and Conventional Retailers," Computing in Economics and Finance 1999 1022, Society for Computational Economics.
- Kristopher S. Gerardi & Adam Hale Shapiro, 2009. "Does Competition Reduce Price Dispersion? New Evidence from the Airline Industry," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 117(1), pages 1-37, 02.
- Varian, Hal R, 1980. "A Model of Sales," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 651-59, September.
- Michael R. Baye & John Morgan, 2001. "Information Gatekeepers on the Internet and the Competitiveness of Homogeneous Product Markets," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 454-474, June.
- Claudio A. Piga & Enrico Bachis, 2006. "Pricing strategies by European traditional and low cost airlines. Or, when is it the best time to book on line?," Discussion Paper Series 2006_14, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Jul 2006.
- Xuanming Su, 2007. "Intertemporal Pricing with Strategic Customer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 53(5), pages 726-741, May.
- Kathy J. Hayes & Leola B. Ross, 1998. "Is Airline Price Dispersion the Result of Careful Planning or Competitive Forces?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 523-541, October.
- Oded Koenigsberg & Eitan Muller & Naufel Vilcassim, 2008. "easyJet® pricing strategy: Should low-fare airlines offer last-minute deals?," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 279-297, September.
- Glenn Ellison & Sara Fisher Ellison, 2005. "Lessons About Markets from the Internet," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 19(2), pages 139-158, Spring.
- Guillermo Gallego & Garrett van Ryzin, 1994. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing of Inventories with Stochastic Demand over Finite Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 999-1020, August.
- Liu Qihong & Serfes Konstantinos, 2011. "Third-Degree Price Discrimination," Journal of Industrial Organization Education, De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-23, March.
- Evangelinos, Christos & Obermeyer, Andy & Püschel, Ronny, 2011. "Preisdispersion und Wettbewerb im Luftverkehr: Ein theoretischer und empirischer Überblick," Discussion Papers 2/2011, Dresden University of Technology, Faculty of Transportation and Traffic Sciences "Friedrich List", Institute for Transport and Economics.
- Mantin, Benny & Gillen, David, 2011. "The hidden information content of price movements," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 211(2), pages 385-393, June.
- Escobari, Diego & Lee, Jim, 2013. "Demand Uncertainty and Capacity Utilization in Airlines," MPRA Paper 46059, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & Capozza, Claudia, 2013.
"Airline Pricing Behaviour under Limited Intermodal Competition,"
48892, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Nov 2013.
- Angela Stefania Bergantino & Capozza, Claudia, 2012. "Airline Pricing Behaviour Under Limited Intermodal Competition," Working Papers 1206, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica, revised 2012.
- Escobari, Diego & Mellado, Cristhian, 2013. "The Choice of Airport, Airline, and Departure Date and Time: Estimating the Demand for Flights," MPRA Paper 47943, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gillen, David & Hasheminia, Hamed, 2013. "Estimating the demand responses for different sizes of air passenger groups," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 24-38.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.