Equilibrium Price Dispersion Under Demand Uncertainty: The Roles of Costly Capacity and Market Structure
AbstractWhen capacity is costly and prices are set in advance, firms facing uncertain demand will sell output at multiple prices and limit the quantity available at each price. I show that the optimal price strategy of a monopolist and the unique pure-strategy Nash equilibria of oligopolists both exhibit intrafirm price dispersion. Moreover, as the market becomes more competitive, prices become more dispersed, a pattern documented in the airline industry. While generating similar predictions, the model differs from the revenue management literature because it disregards market segmentation and fare restrictions that screen customers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 30 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Yongmin & Zhang, Tianle, 2014. "Interpersonal Bundling," MPRA Paper 56165, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Marc Möller & Makoto Watanabe, . "Competition in the Presence of Individual Demand Uncertainty," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 13-185/V, Tinbergen Institute.
- Alderighi, Marco, 2010. "Fare dispersions in airline markets: A quantitative assessment of theoretical explanations," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 144-150.
- Marvel, Howard P. & Wang, Hao, 2009. "Distribution contracts to support optimal inventory holdings under demand uncertainty," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 625-631, September.
- Paul W. Dobson & Claudio A. Piga, 2009. "Mergers and Business Model Assimilation: Evidence from Low-Cost Airlines Takeovers," Discussion Paper Series 2009_2, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Feb 2009.
- Diego Escobari & Li Gan, 2007. "Price Dispersion under Costly Capacity and Demand Uncertainty," NBER Working Papers 13075, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baylis, Kathy & Perloff, Jeffrey M., 2001.
"Price Dispersion on the Internet: Good Firms and Bad Firms,"
Institute for Research on Labor and Employment, Working Paper Series
qt2t0770rn, Institute of Industrial Relations, UC Berkeley.
- Kathy Baylis & Jeffrey Perloff, 2002. "Price Dispersion on the Internet: Good Firms and Bad Firms," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 305-324, November.
- Escobari, Diego & Jindapon, Paan, 2014. "Price Discrimination through Refund Contracts in Airlines," MPRA Paper 53629, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Escobari, Diego & Lee, Sang-Yeob, 2012.
"Demand shifting across flights and airports in a spatial competition model,"
38799, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Diego Escobari & Sang-Yeob Lee, 2012. "Demand shifting across flights and airports in a spatial competition model," Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, Springer, vol. 5(3), pages 175-183, October.
- Halevy, Yoram & Michtaich, Igal, 2005. "Poisson Price Dispersion," Microeconomics.ca working papers halevy-05-07-26-12-10-45, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 25 Feb 2014.
- Angela Stefania Bergantino & Capozza, Claudia, 2012.
"Airline Pricing Behaviour Under Limited Intermodal Competition,"
1206, SIET Società Italiana di Economia dei Trasporti e della Logistica, revised 2012.
- Bergantino, Angela Stefania & Capozza, Claudia, 2013. "Airline Pricing Behaviour under Limited Intermodal Competition," MPRA Paper 48892, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 27 Nov 2013.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 2007. "How Airline Markets Work...Or Do They? Regulatory Reform in the Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 13452, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven L. Puller & Anirban Sengupta & Steven N. Wiggins, 2009. "Testing Theories of Scarcity Pricing in the Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 15555, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Roland Strausz, .
"Regulating Availability with Demand Uncertainty,"
019, Departmental Working Papers.
- Andrew Sweeting, 2008. "Equilibrium Price Dynamics in Perishable Goods Markets: The Case of Secondary Markets for Major League Baseball Tickets," NBER Working Papers 14505, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marc Möller & Makoto Watanabe, 2013. "Competition in the Presence of Individual Demand Uncertainty," CESifo Working Paper Series 4490, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hao Wang, 2001. "Resale Price Maintenance in an Oligopoly with Uncertain Demand," Working Papers 01-11, Ohio State University, Department of Economics.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 2013. "How Airline Markets Work…or Do They? Regulatory Reform in the Airline Industry," NBER Chapters, in: Economic Regulation and Its Reform: What Have We Learned?, pages 63-135 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.