The optimal cordon-based network congestion pricing problem
AbstractThis paper investigates the cordon-based second-best congestion-pricing problems on road networks, including optimal selection of both toll levels and toll locations. A road network is viewed as a directed graph and the cutset concept in graph theory is used to describe the mathematical properties of a toll cordon by examining the incidence matrix of the network. Maximization of social welfare is sought subject to the elastic-demand traffic equilibrium constraint. A mathematical programming model with mixed (integer and continuous) variables is formulated and solved by a combined use of a binary genetic algorithm and a grid search method for simultaneous determination of the toll levels and cordon locations on the networks. The model and algorithm are demonstrated with a numerical example.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Transportation Research Part B: Methodological.
Volume (Year): 38 (2004)
Issue (Month): 6 (July)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Qiang Meng & Zhiyuan Liu, 2011. "Trial-and-error method for congestion pricing scheme under side-constrained probit-based stochastic user equilibrium conditions," Transportation, Springer, vol. 38(5), pages 819-843, September.
- André DE PALMA & Moez KILANI & Michel DE LARA & Serge PIPERNO, 2011.
"Cordon pricing in the monocentric city: theory and application to Paris region,"
Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain)
2011027, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- André De Palma & Moez Kilani & Michel De Lara & Serge Piperno, 2011. "Cordon pricing in the monocentric city: theory and application to Paris region," Recherches économiques de Louvain, De Boeck Université, vol. 77(2), pages 105-124.
- Sumalee, Agachai & May, Tony & Shepherd, Simon, 2005. "Comparison of judgmental and optimal road pricing cordons," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 384-390, September.
- Lihui Bai & Donald Hearn & Siriphong Lawphongpanich, 2010. "A heuristic method for the minimum toll booth problem," Journal of Global Optimization, Springer, vol. 48(4), pages 533-548, December.
- Joakim Ekström & Leonid Engelson & Clas Rydergren, 2009. "Heuristic algorithms for a second-best congestion pricing problem," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 85-102, April.
- Gentile, Guido & Papola, Natale & Persia, Luca, 2005. "Advanced pricing and rationing policies for large scale multimodal networks," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 612-631.
- Stewart, Kathryn, 2007. "Tolling traffic links under stochastic assignment: Modelling the relationship between the number and price level of tolled links and optimal traffic flows," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 644-654, August.
- Ho, H.W. & Wong, S.C. & Yang, Hai & Loo, Becky P.Y., 2005. "Cordon-based congestion pricing in a continuum traffic equilibrium system," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 813-834.
- Danczyk, Adam & Liu, Henry X., 2011. "A mixed-integer linear program for optimizing sensor locations along freeway corridors," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 208-217, January.
- Chu, Chih-Peng & Tsai, Jyh-Fa, 2008. "The optimal location and road pricing for an elevated road in a corridor," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(5), pages 842-856, June.
- Mun, Se-il & Konishi, Ko-ji & Yoshikawa, Kazuhiro, 2005. "Optimal cordon pricing in a non-monocentric city," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 723-736.
- Agachai Sumalee & Simon Shepherd & Anthony May, 2009. "Road user charging design: dealing with multi-objectives and constraints," Transportation, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 167-186, March.
- Maruyama, Takuya & Sumalee, Agachai, 2007. "Efficiency and equity comparison of cordon- and area-based road pricing schemes using a trip-chain equilibrium model," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 41(7), pages 655-671, August.
- Sheu, Jiuh-Biing & Yang, Hai, 2008. "An integrated toll and ramp control methodology for dynamic freeway congestion management," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 387(16), pages 4327-4348.
- de Palma, André & Kilani, Moez & Lindsey, Robin, 2005. "Congestion pricing on a road network: A study using the dynamic equilibrium simulator METROPOLIS," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 39(7-9), pages 588-611.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.