Offline and online weighted least squares estimation of nonstationary power ARCH processes
AbstractThis paper proposes two estimation methods based on a weighted least squares criterion for non-(strictly) stationary power ARCH models. The weights are the squared volatilities evaluated at a known value in the parameter space. The first method is adapted for fixed sample size data while the second one allows for online data available in real time. It will be shown that these methods provide consistent and asymptotically Gaussian estimates having asymptotic variance equal to that of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimate (QMLE) regardless of the value of the weighting parameter. Finite-sample performances of the proposed WLS estimates are shown via a simulation study for various sub-classes of power ARCH models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Statistics & Probability Letters.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Higgins, Matthew L & Bera, Anil K, 1992. "A Class of Nonlinear ARCH Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(1), pages 137-58, February.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2010. "Strict stationarity testing and estimation of explosive ARCH models," MPRA Paper 22414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Søren Tolver Jensen & Anders Rahbek, 2004. "Asymptotic Normality of the QMLE Estimator of ARCH in the Nonstationary Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 641-646, 03.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2004. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Garch," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1203-1226, December.
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- István Berkes & Lajos Horváth & Shiqing Ling, 2009. "Estimation in nonstationary random coefficient autoregressive models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 395-416, 07.
- Linton, Oliver & Pan, Jiazhu & Wang, Hui, 2010. "Estimation For A Nonstationary Semi-Strong Garch(1,1) Model With Heavy-Tailed Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 1-28, February.
- S. Y. Hwang & I. V. Basawa, 2005. "Explosive Random-Coefficient AR(1) Processes and Related Asymptotics for Least-Squares Estimation," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(6), pages 807-824, November.
- Pan, Jiazhu & Wang, Hui & Tong, Howell, 2008. "Estimation and tests for power-transformed and threshold GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 352-378, January.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-96, May.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Hwang, S. Y. & Basawa, I. V., 2004. "Stationarity and moment structure for Box-Cox transformed threshold GARCH(1,1) processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 209-220, July.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2013. "Inference in non stationary asymmetric garch models," MPRA Paper 44901, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Abdelhakim Aknouche, 2012. "Multistage weighted least squares estimation of ARCH processes in the stable and unstable cases," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 15(3), pages 241-256, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.