Analysing the professional sport experience: A hierarchical approach
AbstractStrategically managing spectator perceptions of service quality and understanding how these perceptions affect value, satisfaction and behavioural intentions is very important if sports organisations are going to succeed in today's competitive entertainment environment. As a response to variations in the service quality dimensions found in previous sport and leisure studies, outcome focused sport satisfaction and process-dominant service quality factors are integrated with higher order attitudinal and behavioural constructs to develop a hierarchical model of the professional sport experience. Eleven first-order sub-dimensions are present in the hierarchical factor structure. The study's findings also support inclusion of the second-order primary dimensions of service quality: interaction quality, physical environment quality and outcome quality. Fanship (enduring involvement), service quality, value, satisfaction and behavioural intentions are found to be positively related. The third-order hierarchical model significantly improves on the explanatory power of previous service quality and sport spectator satisfaction models.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Sport Management Review.
Volume (Year): 14 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/716936/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chelladurai, Packianathan & Chang, Kyungro, 2000. "Targets and Standards of Quality in Sport Services," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-22, May.
- Brad R. Humphreys & Jane E. Ruseski, 2009. "Estimates of the Dimensions of the Sports Market in the US," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 4(2), pages 94-113, May.
- Hamparsum Bozdogan, 1987. "Model selection and Akaike's Information Criterion (AIC): The general theory and its analytical extensions," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 52(3), pages 345-370, September.
- Van Leeuwen, Linda & Quick, Shayne & Daniel, Kerry, 2002. "The Sport Spectator Satisfaction Model: A Conceptual Framework for Understanding the Satisfaction of Spectators," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 99-128, November.
- McQuitty, Shaun, 2004. "Statistical power and structural equation models in business research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 175-183, February.
- Cyrenne, Philippe, 2001.
"A Quality of Play Model of a Professional Sports League,"
29060, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cyrenne, Philippe, 2001. "A Quality-of-Play Model of a Professional Sports League," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 39(3), pages 444-52, July.
- Sternthal, Brian & Tybout, Alice M & Calder, Bobby J, 1987. " Confirmatory versus Comparative Approaches to Judging Theory Tests," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 14(1), pages 114-25, June.
- Hightower, Roscoe Jr & Brady, Michael K. & Baker, Thomas L., 2002. "Investigating the role of the physical environment in hedonic service consumption: an exploratory study of sporting events," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(9), pages 697-707, September.
- Kelley, Scott W. & Turley, L. W., 2001. "Consumer perceptions of service quality attributes at sporting events," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 161-166, November.
- Bolton, Ruth N & Drew, James H, 1991. " A Multistage Model of Customers' Assessments of Service Quality and Value," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 17(4), pages 375-84, March.
- Brady, Michael K. & Cronin, J. Jr. & Brand, Richard R., 2002. "Performance-only measurement of service quality: a replication and extension," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 17-31, January.
- Calabuig Moreno, Ferran & Crespo Hervás, Josep & Mundina Gómez, Javier, 2012. "Efecto del coste percibido, la calidad de servicio y la satisfacción sobre las intenciones futuras del espectador/Effect of Perceived Cost, Service Quality and Satisfaction on Future Intentions of Sp," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 30, pages 619-636, Agosto.
- Theodorakis, Nicholas D. & Alexandris, Kostas & Tsigilis, Nikolaos & Karvounis, Serafim, 2013. "Predicting spectators’ behavioural intentions in professional football: The role of satisfaction and service quality," Sport Management Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 85-96.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.