Common factors in international securitized real estate markets
AbstractThis study investigates the presence of common factors in the securitized real estate markets of the Untied States (US), United Kingdom (UK), Hong Kong (HK), and Singapore (SG). Using a combination of factor analysis and canonical correlation analysis on 10-year monthly return data for 142 real estate securities in the four markets, more common risk factors among real estate securities within a country than across countries are detected. In addition, there is at least one common securitized real estate market factor that is moderately correlated with the world real estate market, and to a lesser extent, with the world stock market. However, the degree of linkage across the four securitized real estate markets is much weaker than the strong linkages present across the four economies. It further appears that the extent to which correlations are found in international securitized real estate markets might largely be due to the increasing integrated nature of the world real economy, rather than a result of the globalization of financial markets. The results are preliminary, but indicative, and suggest that more studies exploring how common factors, together with the local market portfolio, could help explain the return-generating process of securitized real estate.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Review of Financial Economics.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620170
Securitized real estate markets Common factors Correlation structure Globalization of financial markets Canonical correlation analysis Macroeconomy;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ling, David C & Naranjo, Andy, 2002. "Commercial Real Estate Return Performance: A Cross-Country Analysis," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 24(1-2), pages 119-42, Jan.-Marc.
- Liu, Crocker H & Mei, Jianping, 1992. "The Predictability of Returns on Equity REITs and Their Co-movement with Other Assets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 401-18, December.
- Foort Hamelink & Martin Hoesli, 2004.
"What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 437-462, 09.
- Foort HAMELINK & Martin HOESLI, 2003. "What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?," FAME Research Paper Series rp50, International Center for Financial Asset Management and Engineering.
- Hamelink, Foort & Hoesli, Martin, 2002. "What Factors Determine International Real Estate Security Returns?," SIFR Research Report Series 7, Institute for Financial Research.
- Jarl G. Kallberg & Crocker H. Liu & Paolo Pasquariello, 2002. "Regime Shifts in Asian Equity and Real Estate Markets," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 30(2), pages 263-291.
- Fifield, S G M & Power, D M & Sinclair, C D, 2002. "Macroeconomic Factors and Share Returns: An Analysis Using Emerging Market Data," International Journal of Finance & Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(1), pages 51-62, January.
- Beenstock, Michael & Chan, Kam-Fai, 1988. "Economic Forces in the London Stock Market," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 50(1), pages 27-39, February.
- Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1980. " An Empirical Investigation of the Arbitrage Pricing Theory," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(5), pages 1073-1103, December.
- Anthony Aylward & Jack Glen, 2000. "Some international evidence on stock prices as leading indicators of economic activity," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 1-14.
- Jorion, Philippe & Schwartz, Eduardo, 1986. " Integration vs. Segmentation in the Canadian Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(3), pages 603-14, July.
- Sheridan Titman & Arthur Warga, 1986. "Risk and the Performance of Real Estate Investment Trusts: A Multiple Index Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 14(3), pages 414-431.
- Cheung, Yin-Wong & Ng, Lilian K., 1998. "International evidence on the stock market and aggregate economic activity," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 281-296, September.
- Chen, Nai-Fu & Roll, Richard & Ross, Stephen A, 1986. "Economic Forces and the Stock Market," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 383-403, July.
- Fogler, H Russell & John, Kose & Tipton, James, 1981. "Three Factors, Interest Rate Differentials and Stock Groups," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 323-35, May.
- Ling, David C & Naranjo, Andy, 1997. "Economic Risk Factors and Commercial Real Estate Returns," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 283-307, May.
- Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The arbitrage theory of capital asset pricing," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 341-360, December.
- Shaun A. Bond & G. Andrew Karolyi & Anthony B. Sanders, 2003. "International Real Estate Returns: A Multifactor, Multicountry Approach," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 31(3), pages 481-500, 09.
- Thomas E. McCue & John L. Kling, 1994. "Real Estate Returns and the Macroeconomy: Some Empirical Evidence from Real Estate Investment Trust," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 9(3), pages 277-288.
- Errunza, Vihang & Losq, Etienne, 1985. " International Asset Pricing under Mild Segmentation: Theory and Test," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(1), pages 105-24, March.
- Lehmann, Bruce N. & Modest, David M., 1988. "The empirical foundations of the arbitrage pricing theory," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 213-254, September.
- Wongbangpo, Praphan & Sharma, Subhash C., 2002. "Stock market and macroeconomic fundamental dynamic interactions: ASEAN-5 countries," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 27-51.
- Mei, Jianping & Hu, Jiawei, 2000. "Conditional Risk Premiums of Asian Real Estate Stocks," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 297-313, November.
- Heston, Steven L. & Rouwenhorst, K. Geert & Wessels, Roberto E., 1995. "The structure of international stock returns and the integration of capital markets," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 173-197, September.
- Tak-Kee Hui, 2005. "Portfolio diversification: a factor analysis approach," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 821-834.
- George Hondroyiannis & Evangelia Papapetrou, 2001. "Macroeconomic influences on the stock market," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 25(1), pages 33-49, March.
- Camilo Serrano & Martin Hoesli, 2012. "Fractional Cointegration Analysis of Securitized Real Estate," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 44(3), pages 319-338, April.
- Liow, Kim Hiang & Schindler, Felix, 2011. "An assessment of the relationship between public real estate markets and stock markets at the local, regional, and global levels," ZEW Discussion Papers 11-056, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- John Gallo & Ying Zhang, 2010. "Global Property Market Diversification," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 41(4), pages 458-485, November.
- Kim Liow & Wei Chen, 2013. "Is There Volatility Convergence in Asia-Pacific Securitized Real Estate Markets?," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 47(2), pages 370-390, August.
- Jian Zhou, 2010. "Comovement of international real estate securities returns: a wavelet analysis," Journal of Property Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(4), pages 357-373, August.
- Lee, Chien-Chiang & Chien, Mei-Se & Lin, Tsoyu Calvin, 2012. "Dynamic modelling of real estate investment trusts and stock markets," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 395-407.
- Abdulnasser Hatemi-J & Eduardo Roca, 2011. "Are Real Estate Markets Integrated with the World Market?," Discussion Papers in Finance finance:201111, Griffith University, Department of Accounting, Finance and Economics.
- Kim Hiang Liow & Felix Schindler, 2014. "An Assessment of the Relationship between Public Real Estate and Stock Markets at the Local, Regional, and Global Levels," International Real Estate Review, Asian Real Estate Society, vol. 17(2), pages 157-202.
- Chiuling Lu & Yiuman Tse & Michael Williams, 2013. "Returns transmission, value at risk, and diversification benefits in international REITs: evidence from the financial crisis," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 40(2), pages 293-318, February.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.