Solving optimal timing problems in environmental economics
AbstractTwo papers of (Pindyck, 2000) and (Pindyck, 2002) that modeled the control of stock pollutants as optimal stopping problems contained closed form solutions that are incorrect. This paper discusses a subtle error in the derivation and demonstrates how solutions to these and related problems can be obtained numerically. The numerical solutions are contrasted with the ones contained in Pindyck's original papers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Resource and Energy Economics.
Volume (Year): 33 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505569
Environmental policy Uncertainty Optimal stopping Irreveribilities Climate change;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711.
- Conrad, Jon M., 2000. "Wilderness: options to preserve, extract, or develop," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 205-219, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 2002. "Optimal timing problems in environmental economics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1677-1697, August.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 2000.
"Irreversibilities and the timing of environmental policy,"
Resource and Energy Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 233-259, July.
- Pindyck, Robert S., 1998. "Irreversibilities and the timing of environmental policy," Working papers WP 4047-98., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Framstad, Nils Chr., 2013. "When can environmental profile and emissions reductions be optimized independently of the pollutant level?," Memorandum 12/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Tsur, Yacov & Zemel, Amos, 2012. "Dynamic and stochastic analysis of environmental and natural resources," Discussion Papers 120017, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Department of Agricultural Economics and Management.
- Framstad, Nils Christian & Strand, Jon, 2013.
"Energy intensive infrastructure investments with retrofits in continuous time : effects of uncertainty on energy use and carbon emissions,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6430, The World Bank.
- Framstad, Nils Chr. & Strand, Jon, 2013. "Energy Intensive Infrastructure Investments with Retrofits in Continuous Time: Effects of Uncertainty on Energy Use and Carbon Emissions," Memorandum 11/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Elettra Agliardi & Luigi Sereno, 2013.
"On the Optimal Timing of Switching from non-Renewable to Renewable Resources: Dirty vs Clean Energy Sources and the Relative Efficiency of Generators,"
Working Paper Series
11_13, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- E. Agliardi & L. Sereno, 2012. "On the optimal timing of switching from non-renewable to renewable resources: dirty vs clean energy sources and the relative efficiency of generators," Working Papers wp855, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Dumortier, Jerome, 2012. "Welfare changes associated with forest carbon offset credits in the United States," 2012 Annual Meeting, August 12-14, 2012, Seattle, Washington 124632, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Niko Jaakkola, 2013. "Green Technologies and the Protracted End to the Age of Oil: A strategic analysis," OxCarre Working Papers 099, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Eryilmaz, Derya & Homans, Frances, 2013. "Uncertainty in Renewable Energy Policy: How do Renewable Energy Credit markets and Production Tax Credits affect decisions to invest in renewable energy?," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C. 150018, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Elettra Agliardi & Luigi Sereno, 2011.
"Environmental Protection, Public Finance Requirements and the Timing of Emission Reductions,"
Working Paper Series
53_11, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis.
- Agliardi, Elettra & Sereno, Luigi, 2012. "Environmental protection, public finance requirements and the timing of emission reductions," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 17(06), pages 715-739, December.
- Mosiño, Alejandro, 2012. "Producing energy in a stochastic environment: Switching from non-renewable to renewable resources," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 413-430.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.