A decomposition of monopolistic quality distortion
AbstractThe quality distortion caused by a linear pricing monopolist is separated into two components; one measures the imbalance of quality and quantity (the skewed component) and the other measures the restriction of production to increase marginal willingness to pay (the unskewed component). Conditions identifying the direction of quality distortion caused by each of these components are presented. Fundamental special cases of preferences and costs, which are useful representation in a variety of contexts, are analyzed using this framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Research in Economics.
Volume (Year): 66 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622941
Quality distortion; Linear-pricing monopolist; Quantity–quality balance;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armstrong, Mark, 1996. "Multiproduct Nonlinear Pricing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(1), pages 51-75, January.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E & Levhari, David, 1977. "Quality, Regulation and Efficiency," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(2), pages 214-34.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1983. "Natural Oligopolies," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1469-83, September.
- A. Michael Spence, 1975. "Monopoly, Quality, and Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 6(2), pages 417-429, Autumn.
- Swan, Peter L, 1970. "Durability of Consumption Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(5), pages 884-94, December.
- David Levhari & Yoram Peles, 1973. "Market Structure, Quality and Durability," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 235-248, Spring.
- David S. Sibley & Padmanabhan Srinagesh, 1997. "Multiproduct Nonlinear Pricing with Multiple Taste Characteristics," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 28(4), pages 684-707, Winter.
- Hugh Sibly, 2007.
"The Determinants of the Quantity-Quality Balance in Monopoly,"
2511, University of Tasmania, School of Economics and Finance.
- Hugh Sibly, 2009. "The Determinants Of The Quantity-Quality Balance In Monopoly ," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(1), pages 65-79, 03.
- Mussa, Michael & Rosen, Sherwin, 1978. "Monopoly and product quality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 301-317, August.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.