Multiproduct Nonlinear Pricing with Multiple Taste Characteristics
AbstractWe analyze optimal multiproduct nonlinear prices in the case where consumer tastes are characterized by more than one taste parameter. We present conditions under which the optimal nonlinear price schedule can be computed by finding optimal price schedules separately for each market. If so, they are unbundled; if not, they are bundled. Bundling is weakly superior to unbundling and is strictly superior when a condition that we term uniform ordering of demand curves is weakly violated. With uniform ordering of demand curves, multiproduct nonlinear prices have the same features as single-product ones. Without this condition it is easy to construct examples that contradict some well-known results from the standard literature in mechanism design.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by The RAND Corporation in its journal RAND Journal of Economics.
Volume (Year): 28 (1997)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.rje.org
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Brighi, Luigi & D'Amato, Marcello, 2002. "Two-dimensional screening: a case of monopoly regulation," Research in Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 251-264, September.
- Yossi Spiegel & Simon Wilkie, 2000. "Optimal Multiproduct Nonlinear Pricing with Correlated Consumer Types," Discussion Papers, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science 1299, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Ivan Arribas & Amparo Urbano, 2004. "Mixed Bundling Strategies And Multiproduct Price Competition," Working Papers. Serie AD, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones EconÃ³micas, S.A. (Ivie) 2004-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Greenlee, Patrick & Reitman, David & Sibley, David S., 2008. "An antitrust analysis of bundled loyalty discounts," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 1132-1152, September.
- Sibly, Hugh, 2008. "Vertical Product Differentiation with Linear Pricing," Working Papers, University of Tasmania, School of Economics and Finance 7335, University of Tasmania, School of Economics and Finance, revised 01 Jul 2008.
- María Angeles García Valiñas, 2004. "Eficiencia y equidad en el diseño de precios óptimos para bienes y servicios públicos," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, IEF, vol. 168(1), pages 95-119, march.
- Sibly, Hugh, 2012. "A decomposition of monopolistic quality distortion," Research in Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 66(1), pages 97-105.
- Miravete, Eugenio J., 2011. "Convolution and composition of totally positive random variables in economics," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 47(4-5), pages 479-490.
- Jensen, Sissel, 2008. "Two-part tariffs with quality degradation," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 473-489, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.