Wavelet domain correlation between the futures prices of natural gas and oil
AbstractThis paper studies the relationship between futures prices of natural gas and oil. Using wavelet analysis, our research reveals that, throughout the sampled period: (1) the prices of natural gas futures and oil futures have high covariance at high frequencies but not so much at low frequencies; (2) an increase in financialization of commodities commensurate with investors search for yield results in higher covariance between the futures prices of natural gas and oil; and (3) the volatility of neither time series consistently leads the other even at high frequencies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 50 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/620167
Natural gas futures Oil futures Wavelet analysis Wavelet cross bicoherence Financialization Search for yield;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hui Guo & Kevin L. Kliesen, 2005. "Oil price volatility and U.S. macroeconomic activity," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 669-84.
- Menzie D. Chinn & Michael LeBlanc & Olivier Coibion, 2005. "The Predictive Content of Energy Futures: An Update on Petroleum, Natural Gas, Heating Oil and Gasoline," NBER Working Papers 11033, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- W. David Walls, 1995. "An Econometric Analysis of the Market for Natural Gas Futures," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 1), pages 71-84.
- Stephen P.A. Brown, 2005. "Natural gas pricing: do oil prices still matter?," Southwest Economy, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Jul, pages 9-11.
- Marzo, Massimiliano & Zagaglia, Paolo, 2008. "A note on the conditional correlation between energy prices: Evidence from future markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 2454-2458, September.
- Robert Barsky & Lutz Kilian, 2004.
"Oil and the Macroeconomy Since the 1970s,"
NBER Working Papers
10855, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Adrangi, Bahram & Chatrath, Arjun & Dhanda, Kanwalroop Kathy & Raffiee, Kambiz, 2001. "Chaos in oil prices? Evidence from futures markets," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 405-425, July.
- James D. Hamilton, 2000.
"What is an Oil Shock?,"
NBER Working Papers
7755, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michelle Michot Foss, 2005. "Global Natural Gas Issues and Challenges: A Commentary," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2), pages 111-128.
- Wong-Parodi, Gabrielle & Dale, Larry & Lekov, Alex, 2006. "Comparing price forecast accuracy of natural gas models and futures markets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(18), pages 4115-4122, December.
- Celso Brunetti & Christopher L. Gilbert, 1999.
"Bivariate FIGARCH and Fractional Cointegration,"
408, Queen Mary, University of London, School of Economics and Finance.
- Sharif Md. Raihan & Yi Wen & Bing Zeng, 2005. "Wavelet: a new tool for business cycle analysis," Working Papers 2005-050, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Chao Wei, 2003. "Energy, the Stock Market, and the Putty-Clay Investment Model," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 311-323, March.
- Ke Tang & Wei Xiong, 2010. "Index Investment and Financialization of Commodities," NBER Working Papers 16385, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cifter, Atilla & Ozun, Alper, 2007. "Multi-scale Causality between Energy Consumption and GNP in Emerging Markets: Evidence from Turkey," MPRA Paper 2483, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Herbert, John H., 1993. "The relation of monthly spot to futures prices for natural gas," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 18(11), pages 1119-1124.
- Kriechbaumer, Thomas & Angus, Andrew & Parsons, David & Rivas Casado, Monica, 2014. "An improved wavelet–ARIMA approach for forecasting metal prices," Resources Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 32-41.
- Delavari, Majid & Gandali Alikhani, Nadiya, 2012. "The Effect of Crude Oil Price on the Methanol price," MPRA Paper 49727, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Rua, AntÃ³nio & Nunes, Luis C., 2012.
"A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 84-92.
- António Rua & Luís Catela Nunes, 2012. "A wavelet-based assessment of market risk: The emerging markets case," Working Papers w201203, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- He, Yongxiu & Wang, Bing & Wang, Jianhui & Xiong, Wei & Xia, Tian, 2013. "Correlation between Chinese and international energy prices based on a HP filter and time difference analysis," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 898-909.
- Gazi Salah Uddin & Mohamed Arouri & Aviral Kumar Tiwari, 2014. "Co-movements between Germany and International Stock Markets: Some New Evidence from DCC-GARCH and Wavelet Approaches," Working Papers 2014-143, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
- Mihaela NICOLAU & Giulio PALOMBA & Ilaria TRAINI, 2013. "Are Futures Prices Influenced by Spot;Prices or Vice-versa? An Analysis of Crude;Oil, Natural Gas and Gold Markets," Working Papers 394, Universita' Politecnica delle Marche (I), Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche e Sociali.
- Gazi Salah Uddin & Ilhan Ozturk & Ahmed Taneem Muzaffar & Duc Khuong Nguyen, 2014. "The time scale behavior of oil-stock relationships: what we learn from the ASEAN-5 countries," Working Papers 2014-441, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.