On the public economics of annuities with differential mortality
AbstractThis paper studies the problem of redistribution between individuals having different mortality rates. We use a continuous time model in which there are two types of individuals characterized by different survival probability paths. Individual preferences are represented by a generalized life-cycle utility function which can exhibit temporal risk aversion. We successively compare utilitarian allocations when individuals exhibit temporal risk neutrality and temporal risk aversion. This problem is analyzed in the contexts of full information and asymmetric information on mortality rates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Public Economics.
Volume (Year): 95 (2011)
Issue (Month): 7-8 (August)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505578
Uncertain Lifetime Redistribution Annuities Nonlinear Taxation;
Other versions of this item:
- Bommier, Antoine & Leroux, Marie-Louise & Lozachmeur, Jean-Marie, 2011. "On the public economics of annuities with differential mortality," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 612-623.
- BOMMIER, Antoine & LEROUX, Marie- Louise & LOZACHMEUR, Jean- Marie, 2009. "On the public economics of annuities with differential mortality," CORE Discussion Papers 2009030, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bommier, Antoine & Leroux, Marie-Louise & Lozachmeur, Jean-Marie, 2009. "On the Public Economics of Annuities with Differential Mortality," TSE Working Papers 09-021, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Antoine Bommier & Marie-Louise Leroux & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur, 2010. "On the Public Economics of Annuities with Differential Mortality," CER-ETH Economics working paper series 10/135, CER-ETH - Center of Economic Research (CER-ETH) at ETH Zurich.
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- H23 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Externalities; Redistributive Effects; Environmental Taxes and Subsidies
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeffrey Brown & Jeffrey B. Liebman & Joshua Pollet, 2002. "Appendix. Estimating Life Tables That Reflect Socioeconomic Differences In Mortality," NBER Chapters, in: The Distributional Aspects of Social Security and Social Security Reform, pages 447-458 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Johann K. Brunner & Susanne Pech, 2005.
"Optimum Taxation of Life Annuities,"
Economics working papers
2005-06, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Levhari, David & Mirman, Leonard J, 1977. "Savings and Consumption with an Uncertain Horizon," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 85(2), pages 265-81, April.
- Helmuth Cremer & Jean-Marie Lozachmeur & Pierre Pestieau, 2010.
"Collective Annuities and Redistribution,"
Journal of Public Economic Theory,
Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 12(1), pages 23-41, 02.
- Barro, Robert J. & Friedman, James W., 1977.
"On Uncertain Lifetimes,"
3451301, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Antoine Bommier, 2008. "Rational Impatience ?," Working Papers hal-00441880, HAL.
- Kihlstrom, Richard E. & Mirman, Leonard J., 1974. "Risk aversion with many commodities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 361-388, July.
- Antoine Bommier, 2001.
"Uncertain lifetime and intertemporal choice : risk aversion as a rationale for time discounting,"
Research Unit Working Papers
0108, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Antoine Bommier, 2006. "Uncertain Lifetime And Intertemporal Choice: Risk Aversion As A Rationale For Time Discounting," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1223-1246, November.
- Pierre Pestieau & Gregory Ponthiere, 2012.
"The Public Economics of Increasing Longevity,"
Hacienda Pública Española,
IEF, vol. 200(1), pages 41-74, March.
- Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthière, 2012. "The public economics of increasing longevity," PSE Working Papers halshs-00676492, HAL.
- PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, 2012. "The public economics of increasing longevity," CORE Discussion Papers 2012005, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, . "The public economics of increasing longevity," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2464, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Antoine Bommier, 2013.
"Life-Cycle Preferences Revisited,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
European Economic Association, vol. 11(6), pages 1290-1319, December.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00676492 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00564934 is not listed on IDEAS
- LEROUX, Marie-Louise & PESTIEAU, Pierre & PONTHIERE, Grégory, .
"Longevity, genes and efforts: an optimal taxation approach to prevention,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-2309, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Leroux, M.-L. & Pestieau, P. & Ponthiere, G., 2011. "Longevity, genes and efforts: An optimal taxation approach to prevention," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 62-76, January.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00575059 is not listed on IDEAS
- Delprat, Gaëtan & Leroux, Marie-Louise & Michaud, Pierre-Carl, 2013.
"Evidence on Individual Preferences for Longevity Risk,"
IZA Discussion Papers
7317, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- G. Delprat & M.-L. Leroux & P.-C. Michaud, 2013. "Evidence on Individual Preferences for Longevity Risk," Cahiers de recherche 1304, CIRPEE.
- Gaëtan Delprat & Marie-Louise Leroux & Pierre-Carl Michaud, 2013. "Evidence on Individual Preferences for Longevity Risk," CESifo Working Paper Series 4196, CESifo Group Munich.
- Pierre Pestieau & Grégory Ponthiere, 2012. "On the Policy Implications of Changing Longevity," CESifo Working Paper Series 3926, CESifo Group Munich.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.