A model to evaluate acquisition price and quantity of used products for remanufacturing
AbstractIn this paper, an analytical model is proposed to evaluate optimal acquisition price and quantity policy based on the quality of returned used products that are subsequently used for remanufacturing. The model is developed from the perspective of a consolidation center, which facilitates the collection of used products in various collection centers by offering an acquisition price based on the quality of used products, receive all of the collected used products and consolidate them with replacement parts before sending the consignment to the remanufacturer. It is assumed that the consolidation center receives an order from the remanufacturer for a set quantity and an associated price for used products in a quality level. The consolidation center then evaluates optimal acquisition price and quantity policy for used products based on the available information on stochastic return quantity and quality, and the cost of predefined set of replacement parts. The policy so obtained is offered to the collection centers to initiate the collection of used products in their respective area of operation. The impact of the model is studied through a numerical study. The authors believe that the model developed here is the first such pricing model in a reverse logistics setting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal International Journal of Production Economics.
Volume (Year): 138 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/ijpe
Reverse logistics; Remanufacturing; Collection of used products; Pricing of used products;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ferrer, Geraldo & Ayres, Robert U., 2000. "The impact of remanufacturing in the economy," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 413-429, March.
- Aras, Necati & Aksen, Deniz, 2008. "Locating collection centers for distance- and incentive-dependent returns," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 316-333, February.
- Wei, Cansheng & Li, Yongjian & Cai, Xiaoqiang, 2011. "Robust optimal policies of production and inventory with uncertain returns and demand," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 134(2), pages 357-367, December.
- Khouja, Moutaz J., 2000. "Optimal ordering, discounting, and pricing in the single-period problem," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 201-216, April.
- Ayres, Robert & Ferrer, Geraldo & Van Leynseele, Tania, 1997. "Eco-efficiency, asset recovery and remanufacturing," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 15(5), pages 557-574, October.
- Zou, Xuxia & Pokharel, Shaligram & Piplani, Rajesh, 2008. "A two-period supply contract model for a decentralized assembly system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 187(1), pages 257-274, May.
- T. M. Whitin, 1955. "Inventory Control and Price Theory," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(1), pages 61-68, October.
- Pokharel, Shaligram & Chandrashekar, M., 1998. "A multiobjective approach to rural energy policy analysis," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 325-336.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 2006. "A joint optimal pricing, rebate value, and lot sizing model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 174(2), pages 706-723, October.
- Ferrer, Geraldo & Swaminathan, Jayashankar M., 2010. "Managing new and differentiated remanufactured products," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(2), pages 370-379, June.
- Ferrer, Geraldo & Clay Whybark, D., 2000. "From garbage to goods: Successful remanufacturing systems and skills," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 43(6), pages 55-64.
- Teunter, Ruud H. & Vlachos, Dimitrios, 2002. "On the necessity of a disposal option for returned items that can be remanufactured," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 257-266, February.
- Giutini, Ron & Gaudette, Kevin, 2003. "Remanufacturing: The next great opportunity for boosting US productivity," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 46(6), pages 41-48.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1995. "The newsboy problem under progressive multiple discounts," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 458-466, July.
- Kim, DaeSoo & Lee, Won J., 1998. "Optimal joint pricing and lot sizing with fixed and variable capacity," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 109(1), pages 212-227, August.
- Kumar, Sameer & Putnam, Valora, 2008. "Cradle to cradle: Reverse logistics strategies and opportunities across three industry sectors," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 305-315, October.
- Li, Jianzhi & González, Miguel & Zhu, Yun, 2009. "A hybrid simulation optimization method for production planning of dedicated remanufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 286-301, February.
- Das, Kanchan & Chowdhury, Abdul H., 2012. "Designing a reverse logistics network for optimal collection, recovery and quality-based product-mix planning," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 209-221.
- Pellerin, Robert & Sadr, Javad & Gharbi, Ali & Malhamé, Roland, 2009. "A production rate control policy for stochastic repair and remanufacturing systems," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 39-48, September.
- Kaya, Onur, 2010. "Incentive and production decisions for remanufacturing operations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 442-453, March.
- Chen, Jen-Ming & Chang, Chia-I, 2013. "Dynamic pricing for new and remanufactured products in a closed-loop supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 146(1), pages 153-160.
- Wu, Cheng-Han, 2012. "Price and service competition between new and remanufactured products in a two-echelon supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 496-507.
- Gernot Lechner & Marc Reimann, 2013. "The effect of active used product acquisition on manufacturing and remanufacturing strategies," Working Paper Series, Social and Economic Sciences 2013-01, Faculty of Social and Economic Sciences, Karl-Franzens-University Graz.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.