Fair intergenerational sharing of a natural resource
AbstractIn this article, overlapping generations are extracting a natural resource over an infinite future. We examine the fair allocation of resource and compensations among generations. Fairness is defined by core lower bounds and aspiration upper bounds. The core lower bounds require that every coalition of generations obtains at least what it could achieve by itself. The aspiration upper bounds require that no coalition of generations enjoys a higher welfare than it would achieve if nobody else extracted the resource. We show that, upon existence, the allocation that satisfies the two fairness criteria is unique and assigns to each generation its marginal contribution to the preceding generation. Finally, we describe the dynamics of such an allocation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Mathematical Social Sciences.
Volume (Year): 59 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/505565
Natural Resources Sustainable Core Fairness Overlapping generations;
Other versions of this item:
- Hippolyte D'Albis & Stefan Ambec, 2010. "Fair Intergenerational Sharing of a Natural Resource," Post-Print hal-00630440, HAL.
- d'Albis, Hippolyte & Ambec, Stefan, 2009. "Fair Intergenerational Sharing of a Natural Resource," TSE Working Papers 09-084, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- d'ALBIS Hippolyte & AMBEC Stefan, 2009. "Fair intergenerational sharing of a natural resource," LERNA Working Papers 09.23.299, LERNA, University of Toulouse.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Calvo, Guillermo A & Obstfeld, Maurice, 1988. "Optimal Time-Consistent Fiscal Policy with Finite Lifetimes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 56(2), pages 411-32, March.
- AMBEC, Stefan & EHLERS, Lars, 2006.
"Sharing a River among Satiable Countries,"
Cahiers de recherche
2006-10, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- AMBEC, Stefan & EHLERS, Lars, 2006. "Sharing a River among Satiable Countries," Cahiers de recherche 07-2006, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Ambec, S. & Ehlers, L., 2006. "Sharing a river among satiable countries," Working Papers 200605, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Moulin, Herve, 1990.
"Uniform externalities : Two axioms for fair allocation,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(3), pages 305-326, December.
- Moulin, H., 1989. "Uniform Externalities: Two Axioms For Fair Allocation," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 117-89, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000.
"Sharing a River,"
00-06, Laval - Recherche en Energie.
- Ambec, Stefan & Sprumont, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 0006, GREEN.
- Ambec, S. & Sprumont, Y., 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 2000-08, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- AMBEC, Steve & SPRUMONT, Yves, 2000. "Sharing a River," Cahiers de recherche 2000-08, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Bossert, Walter & Sprumont, Yves & Suzumura, Kotaro, 2007. "Ordering infinite utility streams," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 135(1), pages 579-589, July.
- Marini Giancarlo & Scaramozzino Pasquale, 1995. "Overlapping Generations and Environmental Control," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 64-77, July.
- Ambec, S., 2006. "Sharing a common resource with concave benefits," Working Papers 200601, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
- Visite guidée au coeur des travaux du Meilleur jeune économiste 2012 (2/2)
by Matthieu Solignac in Regards croisés sur l'économie on 2012-06-10 22:05:40
- Beard, Rodney, 2011. "The river sharing problem: A review of the technical literature for policy economists," MPRA Paper 34382, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wadho, Waqar Ahmed, 2011. "Education, Rent-seeking and the Curse of Natural Resources," MPRA Paper 37831, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.