Economies of scope in research and teaching: A non-parametric investigation
AbstractWe propose a non-parametric methodology to study the presence of economies of scope between teaching and research (i.e., the teaching–research nexus). In particular, the paper advocates a conditional version of the ‘benefit-of-the-doubt’ approach to estimate the relationship between professors’ overall academic output, measured by a composite measure of multi-dimensional and importance-adjusted scores of teaching effectiveness and research productivity, and the time devoted to teaching and to research. The methodology is illustrated with a dataset of professors working at a Business & Administration department of a university college where the time allocation of teaching and research was assigned exogenously. The outcome of the analysis indicates the presence of limited scope economies for professors with an extensive research time.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 41 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Other versions of this item:
- De Witte, Kristof & Rogge, Nicky & Cherchye, Laurens & Van Puyenbroeck, Tom, 2012. "Economies of scope in research and teaching: a non-parametric investigation," Working Papers 2012/14, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- William Locke, 2004. "Integrating Research and Teaching Strategies: Implications for Institutional Management and Leadership in the United Kingdom," Higher Education Management and Policy, OECD Publishing, vol. 16(3), pages 101-120.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Fox, Kevin J & Milbourne, Ross, 1999. "What Determines Research Output of Academic Economists?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 75(230), pages 256-67, September.
- Cherchye, L.J.H. & Rock, B. de & Vermeulen, F.M.P., 2006.
"Analyzing Cost Efficient Production Behavior Under Economies of Scope: A Nonparametric Methodology,"
2006-81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Cherchye, Laurens & De Rock, Bram & Vermeulen, Frederic, 2006. "Analyzing Cost Efficient Production Behavior Under Economies of Scope: A Nonparametric Methodology," IZA Discussion Papers 2319, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bram De Rock & Laurens Cherchye & Frederic Vermeulen, 2008. "Analyzing cost efficient production behavior under economies of scope: a nonparametric methodology," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/7536, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- De Witte, Kristof & Rogge, Nicky, 2011. "Accounting for exogenous influences in performance evaluations of teachers," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 641-653, August.
- Garey C. Durden & Patricia Gaynor & Kellie Maske, 2002.
"Determinants of Scholarly Productivity Among Male and Female Economists,"
02-12, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- Kellie L. Maske & Garey C. Durden & Patricia E. Gaynor, 2003. "Determinants of Scholarly Productivity among Male and Female Economists," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 41(4), pages 555-564, October.
- De Witte, K. & Rogge, N., 2010.
"To publish or not to publish? On the aggregation and drivers of research performance,"
33, Top Institute for Evidence Based Education Research.
- Rogge, Nicky & De Witte, Kristof, 2009. "To publish or not to publish? On the aggregation and drivers of research performance," Working Papers 2009/42, Hogeschool-Universiteit Brussel, Faculteit Economie en Management.
- Laurens Cherchye & Willem Moesen & Nicky Rogge & Tom Puyenbroeck, 2007. "An Introduction to ‘Benefit of the Doubt’ Composite Indicators," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 82(1), pages 111-145, May.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2003.
"Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2003/17, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2005. "Introducing Environmental Variables in Nonparametric Frontier Models: a Probabilistic Approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 93-121, 09.
- Cinzia Daraio & Leopold Simar, 2005.
"Conditional Nonparametric Frontier Models for Convex and Non Convex Technologies: a Unifying Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2005/12, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2007. "Conditional nonparametric frontier models for convex and nonconvex technologies: a unifying approach," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 13-32, October.
- Arocena, Pablo, 2008. "Cost and quality gains from diversification and vertical integration in the electricity industry: A DEA approach," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 39-58, January.
- Luiza Badin & Cinzia Daraio & Léopold Simar, 2008.
"Optimal Bandwidth Selection for Conditional Efficiency Measures: a Data-driven Approach,"
LEM Papers Series
2008/22, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Badin, Luiza & Daraio, Cinzia & Simar, Léopold, 2010. "Optimal bandwidth selection for conditional efficiency measures: A data-driven approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 201(2), pages 633-640, March.
- Baumol, William J, 1977. "On the Proper Cost Tests for Natural Monopoly in a Multiproduct Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(5), pages 809-22, December.
- Cordero Ferrera, Jose Manuel & Alonso Morán, Edurne & Nuño Solís, Roberto & Orueta, Juan F. & Souto Arce, Regina, 2013. "Efficiency assessment of primary care providers: A conditional nonparametric approach," MPRA Paper 51926, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.