An investigation into the vehicle routing problem with time windows and link capacity constraints
AbstractIn this work, we investigate a new, yet practical, variant of the vehicle routing problem called the vehicle routing problem with time windows and link capacity constraints (VRPTWLC). The problem considers new constraints imposed on road links with regard to vehicle passing tonnage, which is motivated by a business project with a Hong Kong transportation company that transports hazardous materials (hazmats) across the city and between Hong Kong and mainland China. In order to solve this computationally challenging problem, we develop a tabu search heuristic with an adaptive penalty mechanism (TSAP) to help manage the company's vehicle fleet. A new data set and its generation scheme are also presented to help validate our solutions. Extensive computational experiments are conducted, showing the effectiveness of the proposed solution approach.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 40 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ioannou, George & Kritikos, Manolis & Prastacos, Gregory, 2003. "A problem generator-solver heuristic for vehicle routing with soft time windows," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 41-53, February.
- Wang, Xiubin & Regan, Amelia C., 2002. "Local truckload pickup and delivery with hard time window constraints," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 97-112, February.
- Zografos, Konstantinos G. & Androutsopoulos, Konstantinos N., 2004. "A heuristic algorithm for solving hazardous materials distribution problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 152(2), pages 507-519, January.
- Anken, F. & Beasley, J.E., 2012. "Corporate structure optimisation for multinational companies," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 230-243, April.
- Li, Haibing & Lim, Andrew, 2003. "Local search with annealing-like restarts to solve the VRPTW," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(1), pages 115-127, October.
- Rodrigo Garrido, 2008. "Road Pricing for Hazardous Materials Transportation in Urban Networks," Networks and Spatial Economics, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 273-285, September.
- John P. Norback & Robert F. Love, 1977. "Geometric Approaches to Solving the Traveling Salesman Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(11), pages 1208-1223, July.
- Jacobson, Sheldon H. & McLay, Laura A., 2009. "Applying statistical tests to empirically compare tabu search parameters for MAX 3-SATISFIABILITY: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 522-534, June.
- Grabowski, Jøzef & Pempera, Jaroslaw, 2007. "The permutation flow shop problem with blocking. A tabu search approach," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 302-311, June.
- Liu, Ran & Xie, Xiaolan & Garaix, Thierry, 2014. "Hybridization of tabu search with feasible and infeasible local searches for periodic home health care logistics," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 17-32.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.