Taiwan quality indicator project and hospital productivity growth
AbstractThe Taiwan Quality Indicator Project (TQIP) is a quality management program that measures and monitors the healthcare quality of hospitals in Taiwan. This paper examines the impact of TQIP participation on hospital productivity growth with the application of the Malmquist productivity change index based on data envelopment analysis (DEA). Analyzing operations data from 31 TQIP regional hospitals over the period 1998-2004, we find that TQIP hospitals improved their productivity in the post-TQIP period. This improvement is attributable to quality change and relative efficiency progress. The simultaneous enhancement in both quality and relative efficiency coincides with the philosophy of total quality management (TQM) spirit, and confirms the efficiency improvement and quality assurance functions of TQIP.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 39 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & Taylor, Donald H., Jr. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2000.
"Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?,"
00-11, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Sloan, Frank A. & Picone, Gabriel A. & TaylorJr., Donald H. & Chou, Shin-Yi, 2001. "Hospital ownership and cost and quality of care: is there a dime's worth of difference?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-21, January.
- Frank A. Sloan & Gabriel A. Picone & Donald H. Taylor, Jr. & Shin-Yi Chou, 1998. "Hospital Ownership and Cost and Quality of Care: Is There a Dime's Worth of Difference?," NBER Working Papers 6706, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "Multilateral Comparisons of Output, Input, and Productivity Using Superlative Index Numbers," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(365), pages 73-86, March.
- Hung, Jung-Hua & Chang, Li, 2008. "Has cost containment after the National Health Insurance system been successful: Determinants of Taiwan hospital costs," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 85(3), pages 321-335, March.
- Du, Juan & Liang, Liang & Chen, Yao & Bi, Gong-bing, 2010. "DEA-based production planning," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 105-112, February.
- Cosmetatos, G. P. & Eilon, Samuel, 1983. "Effects of productivity definition and measurement on performance evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 31-35, September.
- Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2005.
"Aggregation of Malmquist Productivity Indexes,"
34689, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fiordelisi, Franco & Molyneux, Phil, 2010.
"Total factor productivity and shareholder returns in banking,"
Elsevier, vol. 38(5), pages 241-253, October.
- Franco Fiordelisi & Phil Molyneux, 2010. "Total Factor Productivity and Shareholder Returns in Banking," Working Papers 10005, Bangor Business School, Prifysgol Bangor University (Cymru / Wales).
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Maniadakis, Nikolaos & Thanassoulis, Emmanuel, 2004. "A cost Malmquist productivity index," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 154(2), pages 396-409, April.
- Kao, Chiang, 2010. "Malmquist productivity index based on common-weights DEA: The case of Taiwan forests after reorganization," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(6), pages 484-491, December.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2002. "Modeling undesirable factors in efficiency evaluation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 16-20, October.
- Mark Duggan, 2000.
"Hospital Ownership and Public Medical Spending,"
NBER Working Papers
7789, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chang, Hsihui & Cheng, Mei-Ai & Das, Somnath, 2004. "Hospital ownership and operating efficiency: Evidence from Taiwan," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 159(2), pages 513-527, December.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Hsihui Chang & Ram Natarajan, 2005. "Productivity Change, Technical Progress, and Relative Efficiency Change in the Public Accounting Industry," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(2), pages 291-304, February.
- Chang, Hsi-Hui, 1998. "Determinants of Hospital Efficiency: the Case of Central Government-owned Hospitals in Taiwan," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 307-317, April.
- Bougnol, M.-L. & Dulá, J.H. & Estellita Lins, M.P. & Moreira da Silva, A.C., 2010. "Enhancing standard performance practices with DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(1-2), pages 33-45, February.
- Martin, Stephen & Smith, Peter, 1996. "Explaining variations in inpatient length of stay in the National Health Service," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 279-304, June.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Seshamani, Meena & Gray, Alastair M., 2004. "A longitudinal study of the effects of age and time to death on hospital costs," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 217-235, March.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Lawrence M. & Zhu, Joe, 2004. "Models for performance benchmarking: measuring the effect of e-business activities on banking performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 313-322, August.
- Magnus Tambour, 1997. "The Impact of Health Care Policy Initiatives on Productivity," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(1), pages 57-70.
- Fare, R. & Grosskopf, S. & Roos, P., 1995. "Productivity and quality changes in Swedish pharmacies," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 137-144, April.
- Chang, Hsihui & Chang, Wen-Jing & Das, Somnath & Li, Shu-Hsing, 2004. "Health care regulation and the operating efficiency of hospitals: Evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(6), pages 483-510.
- Bosworth, Derek & Massini, Silvia & Nakayama, Masako, 2005. "Quality change and productivity improvement in the Japanese economy," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Shimshak, Daniel G. & Lenard, Melanie L. & Klimberg, Ronald K., 2009. "Incorporating quality into data envelopment analysis of nursing home performance: A case study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 672-685, June.
- Aktas, Emel & Ulengin, Fusun & Onsel Sahin, Sule, 2007. "A decision support system to improve the efficiency of resource allocation in healthcare management," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 130-146, June.
- Nyman, John A & Bricker, Dennis L, 1989. "Profit Incentives and Technical Efficiency in the Production of Nursing Home Care," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 71(4), pages 586-94, November.
- Syam, Siddhartha S. & Côté, Murray J., 2010. "A location-allocation model for service providers with application to not-for-profit health care organizations," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 157-166, June.
- Rajiv D. Banker & Robert F. Conrad & Robert P. Strauss, 1986. "A Comparative Application of Data Envelopment Analysis and Translog Methods: An Illustrative Study of Hospital Production," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(1), pages 30-44, January.
- Lin, Rung-Chuan & Sir, Mustafa Y. & Pasupathy, Kalyan S., 2013. "Multi-objective simulation optimization using data envelopment analysis and genetic algorithm: Specific application to determining optimal resource levels in surgical services," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(5), pages 881-892.
- Partovi, Fariborz Y., 2011. "Corporate philanthropic selection using data envelopment analysis," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 522-527, October.
- Ramón, Nuria & Ruiz, José L. & Sirvent, Inmaculada, 2011. "Reducing differences between profiles of weights: A "peer-restricted" cross-efficiency evaluation," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 39(6), pages 634-641, December.
- Grigoroudis, E. & Orfanoudaki, E. & Zopounidis, C., 2012. "Strategic performance measurement in a healthcare organisation: A multiple criteria approach based on balanced scorecard," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 104-119, January.
- Robinson, Stewart & Radnor, Zoe J. & Burgess, Nicola & Worthington, Claire, 2012. "SimLean: Utilising simulation in the implementation of lean in healthcare," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 219(1), pages 188-197.
- Maenhout, Broos & Vanhoucke, Mario, 2013. "An integrated nurse staffing and scheduling analysis for longer-term nursing staff allocation problems," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 485-499.
- Dulá, J.H. & López, F.J., 2013. "DEA with streaming data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 41-47.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.