Just-in-time purchasing: an empirical study of operational practices, supplier development and performance
AbstractThis paper examines the role of supplier development in establishing and managing efficient buyer-supplier operational links. The paper develops and assesses a measurement instrument for "operational" and "supplier development" just-in-time purchasing practices, followed by an examination of the relationships between the two sets, and an investigation into whether the use of "operational" and "supplier development" practices has a bearing on higher plant performance. A plant-level survey was carried out on a sample of electronics and machinery plants. The study empirically: - documents the close connection between the buyer-supplier operational link and the buyer's practices for supplier development; - demonstrates that recourse to supplier development programs and their nature depend on the kind of vendor-vendee operational connection; - test whether different plant performance outcomes result from the implementing of different "operational" and "supplier development" practices. It demonstrates that better-performing plants exhibit more advanced design and logistic links with sources, more formalised vendor-rating and ranking procedures, greater use of organisational devices for supplier-organisational integration and place greater importance on supplier assistance and training.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Omega.
Volume (Year): 28 (2000)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/375/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Weber, Charles A. & Current, John R. & Benton, W. C., 1991. "Vendor selection criteria and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 2-18, January.
- Kim B. Clark, 1989. "Project Scope and Project Performance: The Effect of Parts Strategy and Supplier Involvement on Product Development," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(10), pages 1247-1263, October.
- van der Vaart, Taco & van Donk, Dirk Pieter, 2008. "A critical review of survey-based research in supply chain integration," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(1), pages 42-55, January.
- Alfred Wong & Dean Tjosvold & Pengzhu Zhang, 2005. "Supply Chain Relationships for Customer Satisfaction in China: Interdependence and Cooperative Goals," Asia Pacific Journal of Management, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 179-199, June.
- Jesús F. Lampón & Pablo Cabanelas-Lorenzo & Santiago Lago-Peñas, 2013. "Why firms relocate their production overseas? The answer lies inside: corporate, logistic and technological determinants," Working Papers 2013/3, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Amer RAJPUT & Abdul Hamid ABU BAKAR, 2011. "A Reprise Of Supply Chain Management In Consanguinity To The Industry Of Textile," Management and Marketing Journal, University of Craiova, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration, vol. 0(2), pages 225-236, November.
- Maria Rosário Moreira & Rui Alves, 2006. "How far from Just-in-time are Portuguese firms? A survey of its progress and perception," FEP Working Papers 215, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Li, Wenli & Humphreys, Paul K. & Yeung, Andy C.L. & Edwin Cheng, T.C., 2007. "The impact of specific supplier development efforts on buyer competitive advantage: an empirical model," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 106(1), pages 230-247, March.
- Imbriani, Cesare & Morone, Piergiuseppe & Testa, Giuseppina, 2008. "Exporting quality: is it the right strategy for the Italian manufacturing sector?," MPRA Paper 13327, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wendy Shamier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.