How far from Just-in-time are Portuguese firms? A survey of its progress and perception
AbstractAs competition increases, Just-in-Time (JIT) manufacturing becomes an important issue in Portuguese industry. After a brief review of its history, elements, advantages and limitations, this paper presents the results of a postal questionnaire survey about JIT system sent to a sample of manufacturing firms in Portugal, with the aim of determining the degree of development, perception and status of JIT production in Portuguese industries. The findings suggest that the surveyed firms have a basic JIT perspective: a tool to reduce inventories, to increase quality and to eliminate waste. Despite the good perception of the JIT concept, less than 6% of the firms surveyed have the necessary conditions to successfully implement a JIT system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 215.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision:
just-in-time; Portuguese industries; manufacturing;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-06-24 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chhikara, Jitendra & Weiss, Elliott N., 1995. "JIT savings--myth or reality?," Business Horizons, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 73-78.
- De Toni, Alberto & Nassimbeni, Guido, 2000. "Just-in-time purchasing: an empirical study of operational practices, supplier development and performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 631-651, December.
- Pragman, Claudia H., 1996. "JIT II: A purchasing concept for reducing lead times in time-based competition," Business Horizons, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 54-58.
- Currie, W. L., 1999. "Revisiting management innovation and change programmes: strategic vision or tunnel vision?," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 647-660, December.
- Kannan, Vijay R. & Tan, Keah Choon, 2005. "Just in time, total quality management, and supply chain management: understanding their linkages and impact on business performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 153-162, April.
- Tucker, Marvin W. & Davis, David A., 1993. "Key ingredients for successful implementation of just-in-time: a system for all business sizes," Business Horizons, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 59-65.
- Shirley J Daniel & Wolf D Reitsperger, 1991. "Management Control Systems for J.I.T.: An Empirical Comparison of Japan and the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(4), pages 603-617, December.
- Thomas, R & Oliver, N, 1991. "Components supplier patterns in the UK motor industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 609-616.
- Cheng, TCE, 1988. "The just-in-time production: A survey of its development and perception in the Hong Kong electronics industry," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 25-32.
- Wu Min & Low Sui Pheng, 2005. "Economic order quantity (EOQ) versus just-in-time (JIT) purchasing: an alternative analysis in the ready-mixed concrete industry," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(4), pages 409-422.
- Low Sui Pheng & Wu Min, 2005. "Just-in-time management in the ready mixed concrete industries of Chongqing, China and Singapore," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(8), pages 815-829.
- Cusumano, Michael A., 1954- & Takeishi, Akira, 1958-., 1991. "Supplier relations and management : a survey of Japanese, Japanese-transplant, and U.S. auto plants," Working papers 3256-91., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.