Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms
AbstractThe asymptotic properties of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) of vector autoregressive moving-average (VARMA) models are derived under the assumption that the errors are uncorrelated but not necessarily independent nor martingale differences. Relaxing the martingale difference assumption on the errors considerably extends the range of application of the VARMA models, and allows one to cover linear representations of general nonlinear processes. Conditions are given for the asymptotic normality of the QMLE. Particular attention is given to the estimation of the asymptotic variance matrix, which may be very different from that obtained in the standard framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 102 (2011)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Other versions of this item:
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba & Francq, Christian, 2009. "Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms," MPRA Paper 15141, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2005. "Diagnostic Checking in ARMA Models With Uncorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 532-544, June.
- Findley, David F. & Potscher, Benedikt M. & Wei, Ching-Zong, 2004. "Modeling of time series arrays by multistep prediction or likelihood methods," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 118(1-2), pages 151-187.
- Christian Francq & Hamdi Raïssi, 2007. "Multivariate Portmanteau Test For Autoregressive Models with Uncorrelated but Nonindependent Errors," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3), pages 454-470, 05.
- Duchesne, Pierre & Roy, Roch, 2004. "On consistent testing for serial correlation of unknown form in vector time series models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 89(1), pages 148-180, April.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Hannan, E. J. & Dunsmuir, W. T. M. & Deistler, M., 1980. "Estimation of vector ARMAX models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 275-295, September.
- Francq, Christian & Zako an, Jean-Michel, 2000.
"Estimating Weak Garch Representations,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(05), pages 692-728, October.
- Christian Kascha, 2007. "A Comparison of Estimation Methods for Vector Autoregressive Moving-Average Models," Economics Working Papers ECO2007/12, European University Institute.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Nsiri, Saïd & Roy, Roch, 1996. "Identification of Refined ARMA Echelon Form Models for Multivariate Time Series," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 207-231, February.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoïan, Jean-Michel, 2007. "HAC estimation and strong linearity testing in weak ARMA models," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(1), pages 114-144, January.
- Kohn, R, 1979. "Asymptotic Estimation and Hypothesis Testing Results for Vector Linear Time Series Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(4), pages 1005-30, July.
- Tucker McElroy & Michael W. McCracken, 2012. "Multi-step ahead forecasting of vector time series," Working Papers 2012-060, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba, 2009. "Multivariate portmanteau test for structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms," MPRA Paper 18990, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.