On consistent testing for serial correlation of unknown form in vector time series models
AbstractMultivariate autoregressive models with exogenous variables (VARX) are often used in econometric applications. Many properties of the basic statistics for this class of models rely on the assumption of independent errors. Using results of Hong (Econometrica 64 (1996) 837), we propose a new test statistic for checking the hypothesis of non-correlation or independence in the Gaussian case. The test statistic is obtained by comparing the spectral density of the errors under the null hypothesis of independence with a kernel-based spectral density estimator. The asymptotic distribution of the statistic is derived under the null hypothesis. This test generalizes the portmanteau test of Hosking (J. Amer. Statist. Assoc. 75 (1980) 602). The consistency of the test is established for a general class of static regression models with autocorrelated errors. Its asymptotic slope is derived and the asymptotic relative efficiency within the class of possible kernels is also investigated. Finally, the level and power of the resulting tests are also studied by simulation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Multivariate Analysis.
Volume (Year): 89 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hong, Yongmiao, 1996. "Consistent Testing for Serial Correlation of Unknown Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(4), pages 837-64, July.
- Geweke, John, 1981. "The Approximate Slopes of Econometric Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1427-42, November.
- Caporin Massimiliano & Paruolo Paolo, 2005. "Spatial effects in multivariate ARCH," Economics and Quantitative Methods qf0501, Department of Economics, University of Insubria.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Y. & Francq, C., 2011.
"Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 496-505, March.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba & Francq, Christian, 2009. "Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms," MPRA Paper 15141, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Poulin, Jennifer & Duchesne, Pierre, 2008. "On the power transformation of kernel-based tests for serial correlation in vector time series: Some finite sample results and a comparison with the bootstrap," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(9), pages 4432-4457, May.
- Eichler, Michael, 2008. "Testing nonparametric and semiparametric hypotheses in vector stationary processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 99(5), pages 968-1009, May.
- Duchesne, Pierre, 2006. "Testing for multivariate autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity using wavelets," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 2142-2163, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.