Multivariate portmanteau test for structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms
AbstractWe consider portmanteau tests for testing the adequacy of vector autoregressive moving-average (VARMA) models under the assumption that the errors are uncorrelated but not necessarily independent. We relax the standard independence assumption to extend the range of application of the VARMA models, and allow to cover linear representations of general nonlinear processes. We first study the joint distribution of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) or the least squared estimator (LSE) and the noise empirical autocovariances. We then derive the asymptotic distribution of residual empirical autocovariances and autocorrelations under weak assumptions on the noise. We deduce the asymptotic distribution of the Ljung-Box (or Box-Pierce) portmanteau statistics for VARMA models with nonindependent innovations. In the standard framework (i.e. under iid assumptions on the noise), it is known that the asymptotic distribution of the portmanteau tests is that of a weighted sum of independent chi-squared random variables. The asymptotic distribution can be quite different when the independence assumption is relaxed. Consequently, the usual chi-squared distribution does not provide an adequate approximation to the distribution of the Box-Pierce goodness-of fit portmanteau test. Hence we propose a method to adjust the critical values of the portmanteau tests. Monte carlo experiments illustrate the finite sample performance of the modified portmanteau test.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 18990.
Date of creation: 07 Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Goodness-of-fit test; QMLE/LSE; Box-Pierce and Ljung-Box portmanteau tests; residual autocorrelation; Structural representation; weak VARMA models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C32 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C3 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables
- C02 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Mathematical Economics
- C01 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - General - - - Econometrics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ignacio Arbués, 2008. "An Extended Portmanteau Test for VARMA Models With Mixing Nonlinear Constraints," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5), pages 741-761, 09.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel Zakoïan, 1997.
"Estimating Weak Garch Representations,"
97-40, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Francq, Christian & Roy, Roch & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2005. "Diagnostic Checking in ARMA Models With Uncorrelated Errors," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 100, pages 532-544, June.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1988.
"Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
877R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1989.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1991. "Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(3), pages 817-58, May.
- Chabot-Hallé, Dominique & Duchesne, Pierre, 2008. "Diagnostic checking of multivariate nonlinear time series models with martingale difference errors," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(8), pages 997-1005, June.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Y. & Francq, C., 2011.
"Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 102(3), pages 496-505, March.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba & Francq, Christian, 2009. "Estimating structural VARMA models with uncorrelated but non-independent error terms," MPRA Paper 15141, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Boubacar Mainassara, Yacouba, 2010. "Selection of weak VARMA models by modified Akaike's information criteria," MPRA Paper 24981, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.