The distributional effect of the rice policy in Japan, 1986–2010
AbstractThis study aims to evaluate the distributional effect of the governmental rice policy in Japan on producers, consumers, and government expenditures from 1986 to 2010 using a partial equilibrium model. Policy measures include government purchase of rice, output payment, and acreage control. The simulation result shows that acreage control has been the principal policy measure for transferring income to producers, especially since the enforcement of the WTO Agreement on Agriculture. Acreage control is the policy measure with the lowest total efficiency and highest budgetary efficiency. This result implies that the government’s goal of transferring income to producers with minimum government cost has been achieved through a combination of policy measures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Food Policy.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/foodpol
Rice policy; Welfare analysis; Partial equilibrium; Policy efficiency; Japan;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nobuhiro Suzuki & Harry M. Kaiser, 1998. "Market impacts of Japanese rice policies with and without supply control," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 355-362.
- Yujiro Hayami & Yoshihisa Godo, 1995.
"Economics and Politics of Rice Policy in Japan: A Perspective on the Uruguay Round,"
NBER Working Papers
5341, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yujiro Hayami & Yoshihisa Godo, 1997. "Economics and Politics of Rice Policy in Japan: A Perspective on the Uruguay Round," NBER Chapters, in: Regionalism versus Multilateral Trade Arrangements, NBER-EASE Volume 6, pages 371-404 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2004.
"Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support under the World Trade Organization,"
Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications
04-bp43, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Chad E. Hart & John C. Beghin, 2004. "Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support under the World Trade Organization," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 04-bp43, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Hart, Chad E. & Beghin, John C., 2006. "Rethinking Agricultural Domestic Support Under the World Trade Organization," Staff General Research Papers 12510, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Daisuke Takahashi, 2009. "Quantitative evaluation of the Japanese rice policy reforms under the WTO agreement on agriculture," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(2), pages 712-725.
- Choeun, Hong & Godo, Yoshihisa & Hayami, Yujiro, 2006. "The economics and politics of rice export taxation in Thailand: A historical simulation analysis, 1950-1985," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 103-125, February.
- Kako, Toshiyuki & Gemma, Masahiko & Ito, Shoichi, 1997. "Implications of the minimum access rice import on supply and demand balance of rice in Japan," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 16(3), pages 193-204, August.
- Keeney, Roman & Beckman, Jayson, 2009. "WTO negotiations on agriculture and the distributional impacts for US rice farm households," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 70-80, February.
- Gail L. Cramer & James M. Hansen & Eric J. Wailes, 1999. "Impact of Rice Tariffication on Japan and the World Rice Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1149-1156.
- Takahashi, Daisuke & Honma, Masayoshi, 2009. "Evaluation of the Japanese Rice Policy Reforms under the WTO Agreement on Agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51421, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Alston, Julian M. & James, Jennifer S., 2002. "The incidence of agricultural policy," Handbook of Agricultural Economics, in: B. L. Gardner & G. C. Rausser (ed.), Handbook of Agricultural Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 33, pages 1689-1749 Elsevier.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.