Subscription equilibrium with production: Non-neutrality and constrained suboptimality
AbstractWe study a general equilibrium model with a non-profit firm producing a public good using private goods as inputs which are financed by voluntary contributions (subscriptions) of households. We analyze policy interventions that increase the public good level at subscription equilibria, and show that some of the standard results of the neutrality literature do not survive in our model with many private goods and relative price effects allowed. First, we show that a redistribution away from a contributor or even a decrease in the total wealth of all contributors (while the contributing set of agents remains intact) can lead to an increase in the provided level of public good. Moreover, we prove that increasing the production of public good is neither a sufficient nor a necessary condition to increase all householdsʼ welfare. Finally, we present conditions under which, for a generic set of economies, well chosen interventions will Pareto improve upon a given subscription equilibrium outcome. As a consequence, a general non-neutrality result in terms of utilities holds even if all households are contributors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Elsevier in its journal Journal of Economic Theory.
Volume (Year): 147 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/inca/622869
General equilibrium; Public goods; Subscription equilibrium; Neutrality; Pareto improving interventions;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D60 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - General
- H31 - Public Economics - - Fiscal Policies and Behavior of Economic Agents - - - Household
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Warr, Peter G., 1982. "Pareto optimal redistribution and private charity," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 131-138, October.
- Kemp, Murray C., 1984. "A note of the theory of international transfers," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 14(2-3), pages 259-262.
- Bernheim, B Douglas, 1986. "On the Voluntary and Involuntary Provision of Public Goods," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(4), pages 789-93, September.
- Atsushi Kajii & Antonio Villanacci & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Constrained suboptimality in incomplete markets: a general approach and two applications," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 495-521.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2001.
"On the neutrality of redistribution in a general equilibrium model with public goods,"
190, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 09 Aug 2005.
- Antonio Villanacci & Ünal Zenginobuz, 2007. "On the Neutrality of Redistribution in a General Equilibrium Model with Public Goods," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 9(2), pages 183-200, 04.
- Andreoni, James, 1988. "Privately provided public goods in a large economy: The limits of altruism," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-73, February.
- Warr, Peter G., 1983. "The private provision of a public good is independent of the distribution of income," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 13(2-3), pages 207-211.
- Milleron, Jean-Claude, 1972. "Theory of value with public goods: A survey article," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 419-477, December.
- David Cass & Alessandro Citanna, 1998. "Pareto improving financial innovation in incomplete markets," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 467-494.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, E. Unal, 2006.
"Subscription equilibria with public production: Existence and regularity,"
Research in Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 60(4), pages 199-215, December.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2005. "Subscription equilibria with public production: Existence and regularity," MPRA Paper 132, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 21 Sep 2006.
- Antonio Villanacci & Ünal Zenginobuz, 2006.
"Pareto improving interventions in a general equilibrium model with private provision of public goods,"
Review of Economic Design,
Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 249-271, December.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, Unal, 2004. "Pareto improving interventions in a general equilibrium model with private provision of public goods," MPRA Paper 183, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 07 Jun 2006.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1, October.
- Villanacci, Antonio & Zenginobuz, E.Unal, 2005. "Existence and regularity of equilibria in a general equilibrium model with private provision of a public good," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(4-5), pages 617-636, August.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Brennan, Geoffrey & Pincus, Jonathan J, 1983. "Government Expenditure Growth and Resource Allocation: The Nebulous Connection," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 35(3), pages 351-65, November.
- Marta Faias & Emma Moreno-garcÃa & Myrna Wooders, 2012.
"A strategic market game approach for the private provision of public goods,"
Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers
vuecon-12-00001, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Faias, Marta & Moreno, Emma & Wooders, Myrna, 2009. "A Strategic market game approach for the private provision of public goods," MPRA Paper 37777, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 08 Mar 2012.
- repec:van:wpaper:1201 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:van:wpaper:vuecon-sub-12-00008 is not listed on IDEAS
- Balasko, Yves & Geanakoplos, John, 2012. "Introduction to general equilibrium," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 147(2), pages 400-406.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.